Instant Search, Advanced Find, Search Folders, and Windows Desktop

Excel

Instant search stopped working for me. Now if I search for even the
letter "a", I get the following message: No matches found for: "a".

When I ask "advanced find" to find any emails with categories contains
TNE01, it returns no results. However, advanced find works somewhat.
For example when I look for items in my inbox with "a" in the subject
line, it returns 78 matches.

When I use "search folders", to find emails with categories = TNE01,
14 items are returned. When I use "search folders" to find items with
"WC" in frequently used text fields, it returns 765 items.

When I use Windows Desktop to search for TNE01 in email, nothing is
returned. But Windows Desktop does search emails. If I search for
WC, it returns 112 email items in "Personal Folders".

Earlier today it said it was done indexing... now instant search says
it has to index 12,155 items...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I'd rebuild the index.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

message

Excel

I'd rebuild the index.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Outlook Tips by email:
(e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)

You can access this newsgroup by visitinghttp://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspxor point your
[...]

it has to index 12,155 items...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Diane. But I think it's something else. The index is in the
process of rebuilding (I started rebuilding the index last night), but
instant search isn't working AT ALL. In other words, Windows Desktop
doesn't find everything yet, beceause the index is still rebuilding,
but it finds stuff. But Instant Search literally returns nothing --
ever. And in a previous post you (I think it was you) explained that
advanced find uses the same index. So, it can't be the index that is
the only problem because that would affect advanced find, too, right?
What could be wrong that affects instant search only. AGain, please
note that Desktop, search folders, advanced find all appear to be
working -- they find stuff. Only search folders finds everything
because it apparently doesnt rely on an index, right? Abd desktop and
advanced find aren't finding everything because the index is still
being rebuilt. But Instant search returns "No matches found for: "
regardless of what I search for.

Before I rebuilt the index, I think windows search worked fine, and so
did advanced find. But instant search started finding nothing a few
days ago,...

What could be wrong that would affect instant search only?