Installing JET 3.51 driver

Dave Rudolf

Hey all,

I have an older database (Access 97) that we want to manipulate with some VB
code. It seems that most newer versions of Windows (in this case, 98 and 2000)
come with Jet 4.0, but that driver doesn't like older databases that
replication. My bosses tell me that upgrading to Access 2000 is not an option.
So, how can I install the Jet 3.51 drivers? Supposedly, the MDAC 2.1 package
has the older driver, but Microsoft doesn't seem to have it in it's website
any more. So, where can I get the older version of MDAC, or is there some
other way to get Jet 3.51 on these machines? And, for that matter, does Jet
3.51 have any compatibilities with Windows 2000?

Thanks.

Dave

Tony Toews

Dave Rudolf said:
So, where can I get the older version of MDAC, or is there some
other way to get Jet 3.51 on these machines?

ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172733/

FYI Microsoft Access Fixes, Patches and Updates
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/msfixes.htm
And, for that matter, does Jet
3.51 have any compatibilities with Windows 2000

No. I've been happily running Jet 3.51/Access 97 for years on Win
2000 and Win XP.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Dave Rudolf

So, where can I get the older version of MDAC, or is there some
ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172733/

Hmm... that patch assumes that Access 97 is installed. For a lark, I tried
installing it on a Windows 98 machine without Access, and I was still getting
errors related to the missing Jet driver. It does appear to have Jet 4.0
without Access 2000 installed. But Jet 4.0 doesn't allow me to write to an old
97 MDB file, and (like I said) I'm not allowed to update the MDB file to
Access 2000.

Is there some way to get Jet 3.51 on without having to install Access 97?

Dave

Dave Rudolf

So, where can I get the older version of MDAC, or is there some
Hmm... that patch assumes that Access 97 is installed. For a lark, I tried
installing it on a Windows 98 machine without Access, and I was still getting
errors related to the missing Jet driver. It does appear to have Jet 4.0
without Access 2000 installed. But Jet 4.0 doesn't allow me to write to an old
97 MDB file, and (like I said) I'm not allowed to update the MDB file to
Access 2000.

Is there some way to get Jet 3.51 on without having to install Access 97?

Dave

Okay, I retract my question. We do have Office 97 on those machines. The link
you gave says that should be enough, but for some reason the patch made no
difference. I've tried this on Win98 and Win2000 machines. They both still say
that the Jet 3.51 driver was not found. Any other ideas?

Dave

Douglas J. Steele

Dave Rudolf said:
Okay, I retract my question. We do have Office 97 on those machines. The
link
you gave says that should be enough, but for some reason the patch made no
difference. I've tried this on Win98 and Win2000 machines. They both still
say
that the Jet 3.51 driver was not found. Any other ideas?

Perhaps you should step back and give us some details.

How are you attempting to use the driver? What code is causing you problems?
What's the exact error you're getting?

vn

gddgdgd

Posted At: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:54 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.access
Conversation: Installing JET 3.51 driver
Subject: Installing JET 3.51 driver

Dave Rudolf said:
But Jet 4.0 doesn't allow me to write to an old
97 MDB file,

Jet 4.0 should allow you to write/update an A97 format MDB. I'm
pretty sure you can link to tables contained in an A2.0 MDB with A2003
although I haven't tried it.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

david epsom dot com dot au

pretty sure you can link to tables contained in an A2.0 MDB with A2003

Yes, although there are problems when simultaneously
connecting /both/ A2003 and A2.0 /at the same time/
to a Jet 2.5 database :~).

AFAIK, you need to have the Jet 2 'IISAM' registered.
Presumably the same is true for Jet 4.0: normally
there is a registered Jet 3 'IISAM'.

(david)