Installing Encarta & Word

Malcolm Gaffney

I have Windows XP Home Office. I bought and tried to
install two discs: Encarta 2005 Reference and Word 2003
Upgrade. Neither of them will install after I insert
them into my CD-ROM. I reinstalled the Home Office
software on being prompted to do so, but the Encarta and
Word still wouldn't install.

I don't think the problem lies with my computer software,
since I had successfully installed a non-Microsoft disc
moments before.

Two days ago, I installed SP2. Perhaps my having done so
inhibits the Encarta and Word disc-installation process.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You are confusing Office with Windows. There is no such app named Windows
Home Office. There's Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Office. Word 2003
upgrade will install only if you already have a previous version of Word,
which does not come with Windows. You will need to buy a full copy of Office
and return the upgrade of Word. The cheapest way to get Office with Word,
Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is to buy the Student Teacher Edition of
Office, which is for home use only.

NoNoBadDog!

You stated that the disc is an upgrade. In order for it to install, you
must have a previous version to upgrade from.

BTW, there is no such thing as XP Home Office.

There is Microsoft Home, which is an Operating System.

There is Microsoft Office, which is a suite of various applications.

SP2 will not inhibit the installation of any software, particularly
Microsoft's own Office software.

Bobby

Merlin

What happens when you try to install them? Care to share what error messages
you're getting, or should we just guess?

xfile

Hi:

This group may give you more help: Microsoft.public.Encarta

But this is my experience:

After installation of SP2, I tested each application of my systems, and the
Encarta Reference Library 2003 in one of my notebooks did not work although
in another still work.

I tried repair but did not help so I removed it and then could not
re-install it. I even removed all registry files but couldn't help at all.

It also came to my attention that Flash animation on web site will not work.
So I went to Macromedia to download and install Flash and Shockwave player.

Guess what? After I stalled both players, I tried to install Encarta 2003,
and it went well without any problem.

After that, I looked the folder of disc one and found out that it seems to
have a Shockwave player folder in it. So I guess it is a must component for
the installation.

But I have no clue why Encarta installation file couldn't just install it
from its disc and/or give any alert message or error codes. In my case, the
installation bar just stop forever.

Hope this will help and good luck. The above newsgroup is for Encarta.

Mary,

Thank you for replying to my help message.

Actually, what I've got installed on my computer are the
following: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers.

Inasmuch as I do have the required software you mention,
I am still unable to load Encarta 2005 and Word 2003
Upgrade. Any further suggestions? Again, thanks.

mg

Bobby,

Thank you for your reply. I have Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition and Microsoft Office XP Standard for
Students and Teachers. I still can't install Encarta and
Word 2003 Upgrade. Any more suggestions? Again, thanks.

mg.

Jim Macklin

The EULA for the Office Student/Teacher edition makes it
clear that it is not a valid upgrade path.

| Mary,
|
| Thank you for replying to my help message.
|
| Actually, what I've got installed on my computer are the
| following: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
| Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers.
|
| Inasmuch as I do have the required software you mention,
| I am still unable to load Encarta 2005 and Word 2003
| Upgrade. Any further suggestions? Again, thanks.
|
| mg

Merlin,
Thank you for your reply.

I have got installed on my computer Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition and Microsoft Office XP Standard for
Students and Teachers.

Actually, no messages occur. I insert the discs, apply
the required Start instructions, the screen changes to
one on which is revealed File & Folder Tasks and Other
Places, and ... nothing. Again, thanks.

mg

Dear Xfile,

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience
with installing Encarta 2005. I'll try the Encarta site
you suggested.

mg

NoNoBadDog!

Actually, the Student and Teacher Edition of Microsoft Office does not
qualify as a valid upgrade path. The reason? I guess because it is half
the price of the full version, and also because it is a special case in that
it can be installed on more than one computer.

Bobby.

NoNoBadDog!

Malcolm;

If you read the EULA for the Student and Teacher edition, it can be
installed on a desktop AND a laptop.
Suggest you read it.

Bobby

Jim Macklin

From
http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/product information sheets/Office 2003 Student & Teacher.doc

Licensing

· The Student & Teacher End User License Agreement
(EULA) is restricted to non commercial usage only

· The Student & Teacher EULA will allow a
student/teacher to qualify for purchase but to then be able
to also use the product after graduation or dropping from
school.

· A family license provision allows
non-student/teacher members of the same household to use the
product.

· A single license of Student & Teacher will allow up
to 3 PCs in the same household to legally install the
product.

And from
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/students/doyouqualify.mspx#XSLTsection123121120120

Licensing Restrictions
Microsoft grants licensing rights for Office Student and
Teacher Edition 2003 with the following restrictions:

. You must be a qualified educational user or a
household member of a qualified user when you acquire this
product.

. You're restricted to using this product for
non-commercial (non-revenue-generating) use.

. You can install this product on up to three
computers or devices in your household.

. You can't transfer your usage rights to another
individual.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
| Malcolm;
|
| If you read the EULA for the Student and Teacher edition,
it can be
| installed on a desktop AND a laptop.
| Suggest you read it.
|
| Bobby
|
| "Malcolm Gaffney"
| message
| > I'd like to think you're correct in this, Bobby;
however, inasmuch as the
| > upgrade requires a product key (provided) to be entered,
it would seem the
| > "special case" you mention is--forgive me, not the
case....