Installing assembly to GAC

G

I just installed my assembly to the GAC using the GACUTIL and I can see it in the winnt\assembly folder. However, I am unable to see the assembly when I import it into the project in the using statement . It's in the GAC but not available to my project???

When I installed the assembly to the GAC I was a bit confused about this section in the assemblyinfo.cs file. My problem may reside in the key reference....

// "For example, if your KeyFile is
// located in the project directory, you would specify the AssemblyKeyFile
// attribute as [assembly: AssemblyKeyFile("..\\..\\mykey.snk")]
// For web projects, the project output directory is defined as
// %HOMEPATH%\VSWebCache\<Machine Name>\<Project Directory>\obj\<Configuration>."

In my assembly creation, I referenced it as [assembly: AssemblyKeyFile("..\\..\\mykey.snk")].

Also, when I issued the gacutil command I picked the assembly in obj\release folder. I am not sure if that matters and still don't understand the purpose of the obj folder in the first place (that'll be another thread).

I cannot find my assembly in the GAC from either a console app or a web app.

Any help is appreciated!

A

Adam Clauss

However, I am unable to see the assembly when I import it into the project in the using statement .

Did you add a reference to it? That still has to be done (just like the default System, etc references), it just won't have to be
copied local to your project.

G

It is not listed in the .NET references section when I try to add a reference. This tells me that even though it is showing in the GAC, it must not really be there.....
Any other suggestions?

G

My assembly is not listed in the .NET selection when I attempt to add a reference, which tells me that even though it appears in the GAC from file explorer - it really isnt there.....????

Any other suggestions?

G

My assembly is not listed in the .NET selection when I attempt to add a reference, which tells me that even though it appears in the GAC from file explorer - it really isnt there.....????

Any other suggestions?

A

Adam Clauss

Yeah... I'd say even though its there, it isn't "registered" properly. I'm about to head home from work, I'll look into it and see
if I can figure out why and write back.

--
Adam Clauss
(e-mail address removed)

Chris Fink said:
My assembly is not listed in the .NET selection when I attempt to add a reference, which tells me that even though it appears in
the GAC from file explorer - it really isnt there.....????

Ask a Question