Installing 9800 card

david bazley

Have just slotted in new ATI 9800 Pro card, which was easy, but now my PC
will not boot up.
The immediate symptom is that when I switch on I then get an unfamiliar two
initiating beebs instead of the ususal one beeb and the boot up process
stops.

I don't know a lot about PCs but I think this may indicate that there is
something wrong in the power circuit. But my Power Unit is 350 watts which I
assumed would be large enough to take care of the slight increase in load
caused by the little 9800 fan. I have checked out the continuity of the
power leads supplied with the 9800 card and they are OK.

I have the old Matrox card back in now and that's working fine.

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Baz

Andrew

Have just slotted in new ATI 9800 Pro card, which was easy, but now my PC
will not boot up.
The immediate symptom is that when I switch on I then get an unfamiliar two
initiating beebs instead of the ususal one beeb and the boot up process
stops.

Make sure the card is seated all the way in. I have had the same
problem and found I had put it in at a slight angle and it didn't go
down the last 3mm.

Sam Higgins

david bazley said:
Have just slotted in new ATI 9800 Pro card, which was easy, but now my PC
will not boot up.
The immediate symptom is that when I switch on I then get an unfamiliar two
initiating beebs instead of the ususal one beeb and the boot up process
stops.

I don't know a lot about PCs but I think this may indicate that there is
something wrong in the power circuit. But my Power Unit is 350 watts which I
assumed would be large enough to take care of the slight increase in load
caused by the little 9800 fan. I have checked out the continuity of the
power leads supplied with the 9800 card and they are OK.

I have the old Matrox card back in now and that's working fine.

Suggestions would be very welcome.

What the beeps mean will depend on your bios.

http://www.romulus2.com/articles/guides/beeps/beeps.htm

You may want to make sure the card was seated deep enough, so maybe try
again. Might also need to wiggle it *gently* in the slot. If you suspect
your new 9800 card is DOA, may want to see if a friend will let you plug it
into his PC to test it. Better yet, if the you bought it local and if they
have a test bench at the store, see if they can plug it in and verify it
works. Also you might want to do a search on google for your motherboard and
make sure there are no incompatibilities with your card, unlikely, but don't
rule it out. Good Luck!

david bazley

Thanks guys for your helpful comments. So it probably isn't a power problem.
The web site that Sam Higgins gave me says that one long and two short beebs
(I think that's what I'm getting) indicates a video problem.
Anyway between posting my problem and seeing your replies I finally got thru
to the suppliers (Overclockers) and they straightway said "Send it back
immediately". Apparently this is by no means an uncommon problem. It looks
to me as if these cards can be a bit like temperamental prima donnas,
beautiful when they are performing but liable to a nervous breakdown on the
first night. So I am sending it back, will report later.

Baz

GTX_SlotCar

Before you send it back, you may want to try re-inserting it. If that
doesn't work, try clearing your bios. There should be a jumper on your
motherboard for it somewhere. That's what I had to do to get mine working.
I've had this happen on a lot of motherboards, but my AI7 needs it done when
I make any hardware changes, like sound card, memory and video card changes.

Gary

Dark Avenger

david bazley said:
Have just slotted in new ATI 9800 Pro card, which was easy, but now my PC
will not boot up.
The immediate symptom is that when I switch on I then get an unfamiliar two
initiating beebs instead of the ususal one beeb and the boot up process
stops.

I don't know a lot about PCs but I think this may indicate that there is
something wrong in the power circuit. But my Power Unit is 350 watts which I
assumed would be large enough to take care of the slight increase in load
caused by the little 9800 fan. I have checked out the continuity of the
power leads supplied with the 9800 card and they are OK.

I have the old Matrox card back in now and that's working fine.

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Baz

What kind of motherboard do you have... I think you got a motherboard
unable to take the card.

Why you ask?

Well voltage, old motherboards only can provide 3,3v or even 5v to the
AGP interface, this is what old cards used to run on, but newer cards
run on 1,5v or 0,8v this of course due to keep the heat lower ( since
it's going faster over the new busses )

Unless you have a nice matching motherboard with your 8x AGP card it
won't work. Most AGP4x motherboards for instance will have no problems
with your card.

So yes, upgrading your motherboard, memory and processor is probably
required.

Anyhow tell us what kind of you have now.

By the way 350W says nothing....what matters with PSU is how much
juice they can push EVERYDAY, not how much juice they can push for 1
mere minute.

John Lewis

Have just slotted in new ATI 9800 Pro card, which was easy, but now my PC
will not boot up.
The immediate symptom is that when I switch on I then get an unfamiliar two
initiating beebs instead of the ususal one beeb and the boot up process
stops.

I don't know a lot about PCs but I think this may indicate that there is
something wrong in the power circuit. But my Power Unit is 350 watts which I
assumed would be large enough to take care of the slight increase in load
caused by the little 9800 fan. I have checked out the continuity of the
power leads supplied with the 9800 card and they are OK.

I have the old Matrox card back in now and that's working fine.

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Baz

1. Did you connect up the supplementary power connector ?

2. Is your power-supply capable of at least 15 amps on the
+12Volt rail ? Read the sticker on the power-supply. No sticker-
replace power-supply with current ATX model from
a reputable manufacturer. You may be able to get away
with less current on the +12V rail if your motherboard
is a very old one and does not derive CPU core voltages
from +12Volts. However, the 9800 requires ~ 7 amps
peak from the +12volt rail.

John Lewis

david bazley

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Yes of course I checked the power
connector on the card, I may not be very knowledgable on PCs but give me
some credit :) And I did check that it was correctly seated. Anyway the card
is now on its way back.
Dark Avenger suggests incompatibility between mother and new 9800 card. Well
I really wouldn't know, I can only tell you that my mother board is two
years old: its called a PlatiniX 2 with a Intel 845 chipset, so I hope
that's OK.
Will keep you posted on second card when received.

Thanks for all the help.

Baz

DaveW

If you have an 'inexpensive' 350 Watt power supply, you probably do NOT have
enough power available in your system to run the 9800. Inexpensive power
supplies do NOT put out anywhere near their 'rated' power continuously in
the real world.
Get a good name brand 400 Watt power supply, like an Antec.

CzarKasM

I cant even begin to tell you how important a "good" power supply is. About
2 years ago, I was building a pc for my mother, and I didnt have any
problems except for the vid card (geforce 3 ti500). I was one of those
folks that figured a power supply was a power supply just as long as the
watts seemed to be enough, well, after having all the problems with the vid
card, and actually replacing every single piece in the new computer except
for the power supply, it still locked up, and I had a 400 watt generic power
supply. I finally broke down and spent $90 on an enermax power supply, and
guess what, the problems went away and have never reappeared. So, learn
from my mistakes and dont skimp on the power supply, it'll save you tons of
heart ache in the long run.

JLC

CzarKasM said:
I cant even begin to tell you how important a "good" power supply is. About
2 years ago, I was building a pc for my mother, and I didnt have any
problems except for the vid card (geforce 3 ti500). I was one of those
folks that figured a power supply was a power supply just as long as the
watts seemed to be enough, well, after having all the problems with the vid
card, and actually replacing every single piece in the new computer except
for the power supply, it still locked up, and I had a 400 watt generic power
supply. I finally broke down and spent $90 on an enermax power supply, and
guess what, the problems went away and have never reappeared. So, learn
from my mistakes and dont skimp on the power supply, it'll save you tons of
heart ache in the long run.
"DaveW" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I agree with that 100% Back a few years ago it really didn't matter so much
about what PS you had. But today with video card that pull a lot of juice,
plus dual HD's and all the rest it is vital to have a name brand quality PS.
I read so many posts about major problems that where solved by just spending
a little extra, and getting a good PS. All kinds of weird things can happen
to your component if there not getting enough power. JLC

david bazley

Thanks CzarKasM and JLC
John Lewis (see above) has also underlined the important point you are
making about Power Supply, so your advice is being taken to heart and I
shall replace PU straight away if second card doesn't work. Actually I think
I have now decided to get a new mother board as well and make a proper job
of it!

You know once upon a time I was a happy graphics designer who thought he had
a fast PC and was two busy designing graphics and web sites to play silly
games. And then one fateful day - it only seems like yesterday - I walked by
mistake into a shop with seductive flashing lights and loud rock and on a
sheer impulse bought Flight Simulator 2004. I wrapped it in brown paper and
smuggled it into my office and then, when everyone else had gone home,
secretly installed it onto my PC.

Suddenly I was in love again, I had a new mistress who could fly me through
the clouds to anywhere in the world. But like all the fatal women in my life
she wanted more power and began to demand money. And now I am hopelessly
trapped in endless expense. First she said my video card was old stuff and
now she's saying my power unit can no longer perform. Next we have to get a
spanking new mother board and now she's eyeing my screen and asking how can
I expect her to live in a 19 inch shoebox. And all because one day I walked
through the wrong door.........

Baz

ron

What kind of motherboard do you have... I think you got a motherboard
unable to take the card.

Why you ask?

Well voltage, old motherboards only can provide 3,3v or even 5v to the
AGP interface, this is what old cards used to run on, but newer cards
run on 1,5v or 0,8v this of course due to keep the heat lower ( since
it's going faster over the new busses )

Unless you have a nice matching motherboard with your 8x AGP card it
won't work. Most AGP4x motherboards for instance will have no problems
with your card.

So yes, upgrading your motherboard, memory and processor is probably
required.

ah, yes.. the infinite upgrade ;)

But aren't I hearing that there's a new PCI something or other video
slot (X times faster) coming out next quarter or so ?

Those fancy AGP whoopteedo-X marketed slots didn't last very long did
they ?

Wayne Youngman

dont skimp on the power supply, it'll save you tons of
heart ache in the long run.

Hi,

also agreed 100%. Everybody is on there own learning curve and sometime you
have to learn the *hard* way. The added benefit of having a 4xx-5xx w PSU
is that. . . .well basically no one will be able to kick sand in your face
anymore, and you get CHICKS!!!! :p

Mary

Thats a very good play on words. You can add my name to the list of the
"lured". Only in my case its "Mister" instead of "Mistress".

Mary

JLC

david bazley said:
[...]

LOL! How true! PC gaming is very addicting. Just like any other addiction
you don't realize how expensive it is tell one day you stop yourself and say
"Did I just spend $700 to play a $40 game!!" I was talking to a sales guy a
EB today and I was going on about how cool the new Pain Killer demo was and
how it ran great on a mid-level PC. He ask me what my idea of mid-level was.
I told him that I consider my PC mid range, and that I have a 2GHz P4 and a
9800Pro.
Then I ask him if he was a console gamer or a PC gamer. The poor guy has a
Xbox which is OK I guess, but his PC is pitiful he has a very old system
that doesn't even have a AGP slot! I told him that once he saw a game
running at high res with 4x AA he would be hooked. I saw his eyes get shiny
with lust as I spoke about the crispness and the high framerates he could
have. I know that now his mind is working on how he's going to afford his
new toy and that his PC addiction will soon start! JLC