installer runs everytime a program starts

Bren

{I`m posting this again because i can`t see the first post on the group!!.}

after i installed sp2 i try to start a program and the windows installer for
that program would run and i would have to cancel the installer before the
program would start.

for an example i start msn messenger the installer for messenger would start
i canel it and then program will start.
it seems that any program that was installed using windows installer has
this problem

I`ve Tryied using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility it works ok, but i
have to reinstall the program that i "cleaned up" and then the problem comes
back .

Any ideas
Thanks
Brendan

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Question:
========
Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?

Solution
=======
An easy way to determine the cause of an on-demand installation is to look
in the application event log for MsiInstaller log messages of the form:

Event Type : Warning
Event Source : MsiInstaller
Event ID : 1001
Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
'Example' failed during request for component
'{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}'
Event Type : Warning
Event Source : MsiInstaller
Event ID : 1004
Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
'Example', component '{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed. The
resource 'C:\Progam Files\example\example.exe' does not exist.

The first message (with event ID 1001) states which component was being
installed. The component listed here is the component named in the
Component_ column of the Shortcut table for the particular shortcut.

The second message (with event ID 1004) indicates which component failed
detection. Improved event logging in Windows Installer 2.0 has updated the
message so that in most cases, the message identifies the actual resource
that resulted in the failed detection. The component with the missing or
damaged keypath is the component that is triggering the reinstallation.

In the example above, the reinstallation is triggered because the resource
'c:\Program Files\example\example.exe' does not exist. You would then need
to find out why the keypath does not exist - in this case, the user deleted
it

Also see "Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer" at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.ms
px

*****************

To access the Application Log in the Event viewer, Click Start -> Run, then
type the following command:
Eventvwr.msc

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

- - From: "Bren" <[email protected]>
- - Subject: installer runs everytime a program starts
- - Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:25:16 +0200
- -