Install new font file

George Schneider

I need to install a praticular font file for our check printer on each local
workstation. The problem is one would need local admin right to do this and
the users do not have this right by default. Instead of having to be at each
physical computer is there another option via group policy or a script by
chance? Remote desktop is not possible since the workstations are windows
2000. Any advice is much apprecaited.

Morgan che

ear Customer,

Thanks for your posting here.

After evaluating your post, I could provide three solutions as below for
your reference.

Analysis:
=========

The most important thing in this case is the package for the font . If the
manufacturer can provide a MSI package and it supports silent installation,
we can deploy the font by using Group Policy - Computer
Configuration\Software Settings\Software Installation.

If the fonts can be automatically installed with a command or a script
file, we can also deploy it by using Group Policy-Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Startup/Shutdown).

Therefore, please check the font package to see which method can be used in
your environment.

More Information:
==============

1. For MSI based installation:

We can use Software Settings in Group Policy to deploy MSI package which
support silent installation.

To do so, in the Group Policy snap-in, select either the Computer
Configuration node, double-click Software Settings, and then right-click
Software Installation for further setting.

For the detailed information about how to use Group Policy to remotely
install software, please refer to the below KB article to learn more:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102/en-us

2. For Startup script installation method:

You can also apply startup script to realize this if the font can be
deployed via commands or a batch file/script. Startup script (but not user
Logon script) need to be used as it is executed in the local System context.

About how to create startup script to finish installation, please refer to
this:

How to create scripts to install a software:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_cpm_gnbr.mspx?mfr=tr
ue

About where to create a startup script, please refer to the following steps:

In the Group Policy snap-in, select either the Computer Configuration node,
under the Windows setting, you can find "Scripts(Startup/Shutdown)". In
the right panel, double-click "Startup" option to input corresponding
script there.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thanks and have a
nice weekend.

Regards

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

Morgan che

Dear Customer,

How are you?

May I know if this issue is resolved? If not, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?=
<[email protected]>
--->Subject: Install new font file
--->Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:03:01 -0800
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
--->
--->I need to install a praticular font file for our check printer on each
local
--->workstation. The problem is one would need local admin right to do
this and
--->the users do not have this right by default. Instead of having to be
at each
--->physical computer is there another option via group policy or a script
by
--->chance? Remote desktop is not possible since the workstations are
windows
--->2000. Any advice is much apprecaited.
--->

George Schneider

right now I'm having a strange issue on the one computer i'm trying to deploy
the font to. This font is what we use on all of our check printers to print
the micr line. It must be installed in the fonts folder on all windwos 2000
machines to print correctly. One machine even though I copied and pasted the
file into this folder still does not print correctly. every other computer
at this site prints without a problem. I've installed this file manually to
the machine by physically at the PC.

Morgan che

Dear Customer,

Thanks for the reply.

From your description, I understand that only one computer in your network
cannot print correctly with the specific font. Even though you manually
installed font file on that computer, the issue still persists.

This symptom should not be related to the Group policy deployment issue,
and should be a new issue. Generally, we answer one question per post in
the newsgroups, in order to ensure the troubleshooting process is clear and
to avoid possible confusion. Thanks for your understanding.

As for this new issue, I suspect that it may be related to the check
printer's application and device drivers. If possible, please check whether
the font can be displayed correctly in other application such Microsoft
Office Word, and whether everything works well when printing a Word
document to another printer with the same font. If yes, the operating side
configurations should be correct.

For further troubleshooting, I would like to suggest that:

1. Please upgrade the related applications, device driver and BIOS for this
problematic check printer.

2. Check the manufacturers of the check printer and the related application
for further assistance.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?=
<[email protected]>
--->Subject: RE: Install new font file
--->Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:14:00 -0800
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
--->
--->right now I'm having a strange issue on the one computer i'm trying to
deploy
--->the font to. This font is what we use on all of our check printers to
print
--->the micr line. It must be installed in the fonts folder on all windwos
2000
--->machines to print correctly. One machine even though I copied and
pasted the
--->file into this folder still does not print correctly. every other
computer
--->at this site prints without a problem. I've installed this file
manually to
--->the machine by physically at the PC.
--->
--->"Morgan che(MSFT)" wrote:
--->
--->> Dear Customer,
--->>
--->> How are you?
--->>
--->> May I know if this issue is resolved? If not, please feel free to let
me
--->> know.
--->>
--->> Thanks
--->>
--->> Sincerely
--->> Morgan Che
--->> Microsoft Online Support
--->> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
--->>
--->> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
--->> =====================================================
--->> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
--->> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
--->> =====================================================
--->> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
--->>
--->>
--->> --------------------
--->> --->Thread-Topic: Install new font file
--->> --->thread-index: Acg+BjiOA6koZi7/STarVaVmeU9WYA==
--->> --->X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 207.46.193.207
--->> --->From: =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?=
--->> <[email protected]>
--->> --->Subject: Install new font file
--->> --->Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:03:01 -0800
--->> --->Lines: 6
--->> --->Message-ID: <[email protected]>
--->> --->MIME-Version: 1.0
--->> --->Content-Type: text/plain;
--->> ---> charset="Utf-8"
--->> --->Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--->> --->X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
--->> --->Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
--->> --->Importance: normal
--->> --->Priority: normal
--->> --->X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2992
--->> --->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
--->> --->Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
--->> --->Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
--->> microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory:3324
--->> --->NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftibfm01.phx.gbl 10.40.244.149
--->> --->X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
--->> --->
[...]

Dear George,

How are you?

I am worndering if the suggestion is helpful. If there is anything unclear,
please feel free to post here again.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Morgan Che