Insert

W. Guy Delaney

In Microsoft Word 2002, Insert is a real problem for me. I hardly ever want
to use Overtype; yet, without my intention, I often find that I have
overtyped a great deal of text without knowing it.

Thinking that I may be pressing the Insert key accidentally while typing, I
have gone to Tools>Options>Edit and selected "Use the INS key for paste."
This, however, has not solved my problem. I still find that without my
knowledge the Insert function gets turned on, and I find myself overtyping
text that I do not want to overtype.

What's going on and can I solve this problem?

Andre Da Costa

Is it possible that the "Insert", key on your keyboard is on?

Andre Da Costa
Jamaica W.I.

Larry

Guy,

Even with the "Use INS key for paste" checked, Word can still switch to
the Overtype mode if the user double clicks on the OVR button in the
status bar. If the letters OVR are dark, that means OVR is on. Double
click it and OVR will be grayed out, and you will be back in your normal
Insert mode, as distinct from the Overtype mode.

Larry

W. Guy Delaney

I am not using my mouse when Microsoft Word switches to OVR. I am typing
using the keyboard.

Dayo Mitchell

Vague recollection that having speech recognition on might cause the
computer to do odd things like this....

DM

sf

I am not using my mouse when Microsoft Word switches to OVR. I am typing
using the keyboard.

I know what you mean! It's annoying beyond words. I
thought I'd switched key functions a long time ago. It
worked for a while, but reverted to the regular overtype
after a not very long time.

What I'd really like it to render that key to "completely
useless" (can I eliminate it from production?) because the
insert key I use is on the keypad.

Larry

That's not something I would recommend, since the Insert key used as
Paste is very handy, but if you really want to, you can assign the
Insert key to anything command or macro you want. Go to the Customize
Keyboard Dialog box, choose All commands or Macros in the left pane,
find the command or macro you want to assign INS to, and assign it. You
could even (if you're really set on wasting valuable keyboard real
estate) assign INS to a macro that contains no code.

Larry

sf

You
could even (if you're really set on wasting valuable keyboard real
estate) assign INS to a macro that contains no code.

Because I use Del with NumLock off for that function, the
Insert key is a useless waste of space for me (and a total
pain when I overreach on the keyboard).

W. Guy Delaney

I totally agree. Another useless key is the Caps Lock. Who in his/her right
mind would type with Caps Lock on. I won't even bother trying to read text
that is in all caps, because my reading speed drops at least by half/

TF

Well it does have its uses. Sometimes (not often) I need to type in a series
of codes that are a combination of Caps and Numbers. But generally speaking,
I have to agree that CapsLock is one of those keys that frequently get
pressed in error. At least the ChangeCase command will quickly sort out the
capitalised text!

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: I totally agree. Another useless key is the Caps Lock. Who in his/her
right
: mind would type with Caps Lock on. I won't even bother trying to read text
: that is in all caps, because my reading speed drops at least by half/
:
:
: : > On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:49:37 -0500, "Larry"
: >
: > > You
: > > could even (if you're really set on wasting valuable keyboard real
: > > estate) assign INS to a macro that contains no code.
: >
: > Because I use Del with NumLock off for that function, the
: > Insert key is a useless waste of space for me (and a total
: > pain when I overreach on the keyboard).
: >
: >
: > Practice safe eating - always use condiments
:
:

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Format | Change Case. Select the desired capitalization. Be aware that Title
Caps capitalizes *every* word, so you'll have to go back and lowercase
prepositions, conjunctions, and articles.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

TF

Shift+F3 toggles through the cases.

Terry

: On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:47:01 -0000, "TF"
: <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote:
:
: > At least the ChangeCase command will quickly sort out the
: > capitalised text!
:
: How do you do that?
:
:
:
: Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Well, it toggles through some of them--not all.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

TF

True: in my experience, it does depend on exactly what you have selected!

Terry

: Well, it toggles through some of them--not all.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
:
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
: : > Shift+F3 toggles through the cases.
: >
: > Terry
: >
: >
: > : > : On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:47:01 -0000, "TF"
: > :