index - must be case sensitive?

G

I am doing an index for a document about 650 pages...there seem to be several missing entries and I think it must be case sensitive...is this true? If so, is there a way to find occurrences of a word that is sometimes capitalized and sometimes not, without adding a separate entry for both in the concordance file

Also, there are certain random words in my index that are in bold and/or italics even though they are not like that in the concordance file...any idea about this?

Thank you!

C

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi =?Utf-8?B?ZWxzYQ==?=,
I am doing an index for a document about 650 pages...there seem to be several
missing entries and I think it must be case sensitive...is this true? If so, is
there a way to find occurrences of a word that is sometimes capitalized and
sometimes not, without adding a separate entry for both in the concordance file?Yes, the Index is definitely case-sensitive. If you're using a concordance file to
generate the Index entries (not usually a good way to create a good index, but
that's a different topic), then yes, you will need a separate entry for each
possible combination.
Also, there are certain random words in my index that are in bold and/or italics
even though they are not like that in the concordance file...any idea about this?Quite likely, the text in the document has been formatted with bold/italics,
directly (rather than with character styles to apply these attributes). You'd need
to correct the formatting in the document text (the XE fields).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :)

G

Obviously it's too late now but what would say is the best method of creating an index? Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question