Incorrect drive capacity - W2k Professional - 200GB IDE??

Kevin

I have just installed a Western Digital 200GB IDE drive as
a slave in my Win 2000 Professional box. The BIOS shows
the drive at 200GB which is correct. When I get into
windows, goto Manage Computer, and Disk Management - the
new drive only shows up as a 130GB drive. What's the
problem?

Thanks.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your post. I think the problem may be due to the fact that
48-bit addressing was not enabled when the drive was installed in the
system.

Let's try the following solution:

1. Install Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. You can download it from:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFEC
D095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

2. Enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry:

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Please pay additional attention to these operations.

2.1) Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2.2) Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

2.3) On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:

Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1

2.4) Quit Registry Editor.

3. Restart the system and check if the problem has been resolved.

Reference:
---------------------
305098 48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

260910 How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=260910

I hope the above information helps. Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Kevin" <[email protected]>
|Sender: "Kevin" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Incorrect drive capacity - W2k Professional - 200GB IDE??
|Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:58:12 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
|
|I have just installed a Western Digital 200GB IDE drive as
|a slave in my Win 2000 Professional box. The BIOS shows
|the drive at 200GB which is correct. When I get into
|windows, goto Manage Computer, and Disk Management - the
|new drive only shows up as a 130GB drive. What's the
|problem?
|
|Thanks.

Dave

Joe,

I've got 2 HDD questions I've been trying to get answered.

I've been having trouble w/slave HDDs switching into PIO mode. I'm sure it
has to do w/the 4 sec driver timeout in W2k, in which Windows registers an
error after a drive has been suspended then resumed, because the spinup time
is longer than 4 sec. I read that XP has increased the timeout to 10 sec.
How do I increase it in 2k?

Also, is there a way for me to tell whether Windows is using ATA-66 (or
100)?
I found an article online that said to add a DWORD value called
"EnableUDMA66" to the reg. However, I don't see this entry in the reg.
Should I? Or is the fact that SP4 has been installed enough to insure
ATA-66 is enabled?

Thanks.

-Dave

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your post. Since the two issues are separated hard disk
issues, I would like to suggest that you open a new post in the following
news group:

microsoft.public.storage

I believe that you will get more specific and detailed suggestions there.
Thank you for using our news group!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Dave" <[email protected]>
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
|Subject: Re: Incorrect drive capacity - W2k Professional - 200GB IDE??
|Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:42:28 GMT
|
|Joe,
|
|I've got 2 HDD questions I've been trying to get answered.
|
|I've been having trouble w/slave HDDs switching into PIO mode. I'm sure it
|has to do w/the 4 sec driver timeout in W2k, in which Windows registers an
|error after a drive has been suspended then resumed, because the spinup
time
|is longer than 4 sec. I read that XP has increased the timeout to 10 sec.
|How do I increase it in 2k?
|
|Also, is there a way for me to tell whether Windows is using ATA-66 (or
|100)?
|I found an article online that said to add a DWORD value called
|"EnableUDMA66" to the reg. However, I don't see this entry in the reg.
|Should I? Or is the fact that SP4 has been installed enough to insure
|ATA-66 is enabled?
|
|Thanks.

|-Dave

Dave

OK, I'll do that. I posted here, but didn't get a definitive answer, so
when I saw you were from MS I figured I'd ask. But I'll try the other NG.
Thanks.
--

-Dave

Joe Wu said:
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your post. Since the two issues are separated hard disk
issues, I would like to suggest that you open a new post in the following
news group:

microsoft.public.storage

I believe that you will get more specific and detailed suggestions there.
Thank you for using our news group!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Dave" <[email protected]>
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
|Subject: Re: Incorrect drive capacity - W2k Professional - 200GB IDE??
|Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:42:28 GMT
|
|Joe,
|
|I've got 2 HDD questions I've been trying to get answered.
|
|I've been having trouble w/slave HDDs switching into PIO mode. I'm sure it
|has to do w/the 4 sec driver timeout in W2k, in which Windows registers an
|error after a drive has been suspended then resumed, because the spinup
time
|is longer than 4 sec. I read that XP has increased the timeout to 10 sec.
|How do I increase it in 2k?
|
|Also, is there a way for me to tell whether Windows is using ATA-66 (or
|100)?
|I found an article online that said to add a DWORD value called
|"EnableUDMA66" to the reg. However, I don't see this entry in the reg.
|Should I? Or is the fact that SP4 has been installed enough to insure
|ATA-66 is enabled?
|
|Thanks.

|-Dave