Improperly displayed Fonts PP97 in WinXP

G

I recently purchased a new computer and installed Windows XP with Hebrew Language support as the operating system. I installed Office 97, which I am quite happy with, including PowerPoint 97 also with Hebrew Language support.

My problem: When I create a new slide with the default Times New Roman font, in place of the ususual “Click to add … “ I see a jumble of all caps letters. The same happens with Arial but with Bookman Old Style or Centaur they appear normal If I open an existing PowerPoint presentation created with Times New Roman or one of these other fonts I also see this gibberish

Can someone help me

I am not interested in buying more software. I own a licensed copy of Office 97, I am very happy with it, and the technophobic members of my family are comfortable using it. I do not want to upgrade unnecessarily.

S

Steve Rindsberg

I recently purchased a new computer and installed Windows XP with Hebrew Language
support as the operating system. I installed Office 97, which I am quite happy with,
including PowerPoint 97 also with Hebrew Language support.
My problem: When I create a new slide with the default Times New Roman font, in
place of the ususual “Click to add … “ I see a jumble of all caps letters. The
same happens with Arial but with Bookman Old Style or Centaur they appear normal If
I open an existing PowerPoint presentation created with Times New Roman or one of
these other fonts I also see this gibberish.
Can someone help me?

I am not interested in buying more software. I own a licensed copy of Office 97, I
am very happy with it, and the technophobic members of my family are comfortable
using it. I do not want to upgrade unnecessarily.

Sounds reasonable to me. So let's try this: choose one of the fonts that does work
and one that doesn't. Start up the Windows Character Map application. In XP, that
should be in Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map

Put a check next to Advanced View and check each of the fonts to see if it includes
Hebrew characters. If not, that could be the root of the problem.

G

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer. I am seeing the all caps English gibberish when I am trying to see English. Everything appears correctly when I select Hebrew as the language. Then I do in fact get the Hebrew translation of the "click to add ..." prompt

It is the English text that is all befuddedled

I viewed the fonts usig Character map, as you suggested. The troublesome fonts have Hebrew characters, the fonts that work do not

Someone mentioned to me that the problem may be rooted in the fact that WinXP uses Unicode, and PPT97 does not. If this is indeed the source of the problem, is there a work around? (aside from choosing a different font?

TI
Angioma

S

Steve Rindsberg

Steve:

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer. I am seeing the all caps
English gibberish when I am trying to see English. Everything appears correctly
when I select Hebrew as the language. Then I do in fact get the Hebrew translation
of the "click to add ..." prompt.
It is the English text that is all befuddedled.

Aha. That *IS* different. I wonder what'd happen if you removed one of the
troublesome fonts and replaced it with the same-named version from an
English-language Windows system.

You might also want to poke around the Office 97 CD. You'll find most of these
fonts in the \Valupack\MSFonts folder.
I viewed the fonts usig Character map, as you suggested. The troublesome fonts
have Hebrew characters, the fonts that work do not!
Someone mentioned to me that the problem may be rooted in the fact that WinXP
uses Unicode, and PPT97 does not. If this is indeed the source of the problem, is
there a work around? (aside from choosing a different font?)

Ask a Question