Impossible to find word processor needed

Jeff Needle

On the off chance that anyone has an insight on this, here's what I'm
looking for, based on need to do my work:

1. I need to be able to e-mail the document, not as an attachment, but as
the body of an e-mail, to a single recipient, or to many.

2. I need to able to keep formatting, indenting, when mailing. This is
the problem with copying and pasting into an e-mail program -- indenting
is lost in the Windows clipboard.

3. I also need to print envelopes. This is not absolute, but it would be
nice.

4. And, ideally, it will not change the system registry, occupy its own
folder for ease in backup and, if necessary, restore.

I've tried so many programs, I can't even remember their names. Any ideas?

Al

Jeff said:
On the off chance that anyone has an insight on this, here's what I'm
looking for, based on need to do my work:

1. I need to be able to e-mail the document, not as an attachment, but
as the body of an e-mail, to a single recipient, or to many.

2. I need to able to keep formatting, indenting, when mailing. This is
the problem with copying and pasting into an e-mail program -- indenting
is lost in the Windows clipboard.

3. I also need to print envelopes. This is not absolute, but it would
be nice.

4. And, ideally, it will not change the system registry, occupy its own
folder for ease in backup and, if necessary, restore.

I've tried so many programs, I can't even remember their names. Any ideas?
How about a WP that converts to PDF then emails? Have you looked at
OpenOffice 2.0?

Jeff Needle

Al said:
How about a WP that converts to PDF then emails? Have you looked at
OpenOffice 2.0?

Yes, I have OpenOffice. The idea of PDF, I don't think it'll work. I
send the reviews as the body of an e-mail, not as an attachment. But
thanks for the idea! (I haven't checked to see if OpenOffice will send
a document as the body of an e-mail -- I'll look it.)

Thanks again.

Al

Jeff said:
Yes, I have OpenOffice. The idea of PDF, I don't think it'll work. I
send the reviews as the body of an e-mail, not as an attachment. But
thanks for the idea! (I haven't checked to see if OpenOffice will send
a document as the body of an e-mail -- I'll look it.)

Thanks again.
This is all it says on the 2.0 features list.
"> Email your documents - WRITER offers direct connection to email
software."
Let us know!

dadiOH

Jeff said:
On the off chance that anyone has an insight on this, here's what I'm
looking for, based on need to do my work:

1. I need to be able to e-mail the document, not as an attachment,
but as the body of an e-mail, to a single recipient, or to many.

2. I need to able to keep formatting, indenting, when mailing. This
is the problem with copying and pasting into an e-mail program --
indenting is lost in the Windows clipboard.

It isn't the copying that loses the formatting, it is copying into a
plain text document. You should be able to do what you want with any
mail program that lets you send in HTML. Copying and pasting to such
keeps formatting including indentations.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

H-Man

It isn't the copying that loses the formatting, it is copying into a
plain text document. You should be able to do what you want with any
mail program that lets you send in HTML. Copying and pasting to such
keeps formatting including indentations.

Right, this is the root of the matter. Further to this, if the recipient
has a mail program that does not support HTML or has it disabled, a good
idea as many nasties come in this way, then they'll never see the
formatting anyway, and may have a great deal of difficulty reading it at
all. If you proceed on this basis you should be sure all of your audience
is HTML capable or willing.

Jeff Needle

Al said:
This is all it says on the 2.0 features list.
"> Email your documents - WRITER offers direct connection to email
software."
Let us know!

Alas, it sends the document as an attachment.

Sigh.

Jeff Needle

It isn't the copying that loses the formatting, it is copying into a
Right, this is the root of the matter. Further to this, if the recipient
has a mail program that does not support HTML or has it disabled, a good
idea as many nasties come in this way, then they'll never see the
formatting anyway, and may have a great deal of difficulty reading it at
all. If you proceed on this basis you should be sure all of your audience
is HTML capable or willing.

Ay, more difficult than I thought. Many of the folks to receive the
reviews block html posts, I've already been told that.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Susan Bugher

Alas, it sends the document as an attachment.

If "keep formatting" means you want to send a plain text document with
paragraphs indented you can do that easily. In the source document use
spaces instead of tabs to indent the paragraphs. If "keep formatting"
means something else please specify.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Peter Seiler

dadiOH - 03.03.2006 21:23 :
--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

should

--
dadiOH

be your SIG-delimiter? It looks like. But in this case it
should be "-- " (DashDashSpace) as a working SIG-delimiter as you can
see mine below.

Please configure yours. And BTW please shorten your SIG-lines to max. 4.
THX in advance for your kind understanding.

meow2222

Jeff said:
Ay, more difficult than I thought. Many of the folks to receive the
reviews block html posts, I've already been told that.

Thanks to both of you for the info.

Sending in html will only bring animosity, hog bandwidth, clog inboxes,
and invite hate mail from dialuppers. So you need to send in plain
text. That means using spaces instaed of tabs, as already said. Emails
progs generally strip off leading spaces on lines: if you must keep
them, put a dot etc first, followed by your spaces, then they'll stay.

.. Like this.

If you dont like this, you're out of options, and you'll need to think
of another approach. The problem is not in the software, but with what
you want to do and how. What you want to do just isnt quite 100%
compatible with email.

NT

Jeff Needle

Sending in html will only bring animosity, hog bandwidth, clog inboxes,
and invite hate mail from dialuppers. So you need to send in plain
text. That means using spaces instaed of tabs, as already said. Emails
progs generally strip off leading spaces on lines: if you must keep
them, put a dot etc first, followed by your spaces, then they'll stay.

. Like this.

If you dont like this, you're out of options, and you'll need to think
of another approach. The problem is not in the software, but with what
you want to do and how. What you want to do just isnt quite 100%
compatible with email.

NT

As stated in another post, there is one program that does all this, and
I've been using it. But the interface is klunky and the company is a
bit shaky.

Thanks.

Jeff Needle

Alas, it sends the document as an attachment.
If "keep formatting" means you want to send a plain text document with
paragraphs indented you can do that easily. In the source document use
spaces instead of tabs to indent the paragraphs. If "keep formatting"
means something else please specify.

Susan

It means that exactly. Spaces do work, but they can cause a problem
when I have to edit the document, or when it's read on a mail reader
that wraps, which most do.

For a while I've been using a program called "Yeah Write." There's a
freeware version of the program, but I use the paid version with full
e-mail capabilities. It has worked nicely, but no work has been done
for many years, and it may be that the company will fold at some point.

I can directly e-mail the reviews, and indenting is kept intact. It's
really good. But the interface sometimes gets in the way of getting my
work done quickly.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will likely stay with Yeah Write
until some other solution comes along. I have toyed with the idea of
finding a program that creates newsletters and can connect to the
internet to send out the newsletters.