You will need to change the header of the files:
From: REGEDIT4
To: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Larry Waibel

Thanks, I'll give that a try. These were done under NT so I thought it might
be a version problem but I can double-click them on an XP Pro system and they
get into the registry fine. So looks like it's a problem with the CD import
tool; and at least it ought to give a more meaningful message about what's
wrong <sigh>

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: importing registry files
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:08:04 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

You will need to change the header of the files:
From: REGEDIT4
To: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

KM, BSquare Corp.
I have a .reg file that I've attached. When I try to import it using CD, I
get the error below. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks!

Info:processing file : X:\Temp\SBCComPort\COM14.reg
*** Error ***:Not a valid registry (.REG) file.
Info:Completed processing file [Import failed] :
X:\Temp\SBCComPort\COM14.reg