Importing HTML into Power Point

Anchorman

We want to import an HTML page into power point, but would like Power Point
to page break at certain points. Is there a way other than splitting the
HTML up manually to tell Power Point to page break this information as we
import it?

I'm currently using Power Point 2000.

Thanks,
Jesse
www.davinci-mims.com

TAJ Simmons

Jesse,

If you are just looking to display a static web page.

(1) Then display the webpage

(2) Press PrtScreen key on your keyboard

Start your favorite graphics app

(3) Edit > Paste
(4) Save the image
(5) Scroll down the webpage
Repeat from 2
(6) Start powerpoint
Insert > picture > from file

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free powerpoint templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

Anchorman

No, that's not what we're trying to do at all. I suppose I should have
explained the whole process to start with.

We've got a custom written application that is used at conferences to enter
scores and determine placing in contests. At the end of the conference, we
want to export the data (top 10 place winners) and get that data into a
power point presentation that is used at the awards banquet. The person who
does this has to spend HOURS putting that all together, and we can save them
this trouble if we could simply import the data into Power Point. But,
Power Point is not very helpful in this respect. We have found that Power
Point will import HTML pages, and to that end, I've created an HTML export
in my program that exports all of the top 10 winners in HTML format. I've
broken it apart by page, and that seems fine. However, if we could get
Power Point to import one continious page and break it apart at certain
places, that would be extremely helpful. We could import one file, then
we're done. We could start adding graphics and animation, etc.

That's what I'm trying to accomplish, but didn't know if there was any way
to get Power Point to page break the information apart at certain places.
I've tried the Ctrl-Enter to start a new page at a certain point, but what
it does is add a new slide, but leaves the text on the previous page, which
isn't helpful at all.

Jesse

Michael Koerner

I think this is what your looking for. http://www.mvps.org/skp/liveweb.htm

--
<>Please post all follow-up questions/replies to the newsgroup<>
<><>Email unless specifically requested will not be opened<><>

[...]

Steve Rindsberg

We've got a custom written application that is used at conferences to enter
scores and determine placing in contests. At the end of the conference, we
want to export the data (top 10 place winners) and get that data into a
power point presentation that is used at the awards banquet. The person who
does this has to spend HOURS putting that all together, and we can save them
this trouble if we could simply import the data into Power Point. But,
Power Point is not very helpful in this respect. We have found that Power
Point will import HTML pages, and to that end, I've created an HTML export
in my program that exports all of the top 10 winners in HTML format.

If you can do HTML, then tab delimited should be a piece of cake.
That being the case, have a look at http://merge.pptools.com

It comes at the problem from a different direction, but will do pretty much
exactly what you're after.

I've

I have a similar problem as Anchorman. I have looked at all of the solutions but none of appear to be what I need. Here is my problem. We are importing HTML into PowerPoint (essentially writing HTML code and saving it as *.ppt) Our content for some slides is too long and it is geting cut off. Does anyone know of a way to insert a page break so the content stops displaying at the bottom of the slide and starts displaying at the top of the next slide? We are using PowerPoint 2003. Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
blew

John Langhans [MSFT]

[CRITICAL UPDATE - Anyone using Office 2003 should install the critical
update as soon as possible. From PowerPoint, choose "Help -> Check for
Updates".]

Hello,

There is really no such thing as a page break in HTML so I don't see how
this could work. A better approach might be to have an option to split your
single HTML page into multiple HTML pages (much like some web-sites do for
news articles <page 1-2-3-4> too long to conveniently be viewed without
lots of scrolling <or scrolling beyond the banner advertising <grin>>).
Then you can import each smaller HTML page into separate PowerPoint slides.

If you (or anyone else reading this message) think that it's important that
PowerPoint provide this kind of functionality (without having to resort to
VBA or add-ins), don't forget to send your feedback (in YOUR OWN WORDS,
please) to Microsoft at:

It's VERY important that, for EACH wish, you describe in detail, WHY it is
important TO YOU that your product suggestion be implemented. A good wish
submssion includes WHAT scenario, work-flow, or end-result is blocked by
not having a specific feature, HOW MUCH time and effort ($$$) is spent
working around a specific limitation of the current product, etc. Remember
that Microsoft receives THOUSANDS of product suggestions every day and we
read each one but, in any given product development cycle, there are ONLY
sufficient resources to address the ones that are MOST IMPORTANT to our
customers so take the extra time to state your case as CLEARLY and
COMPLETELY as possible so that we can FEEL YOUR PAIN.

IMPORTANT: Each submission should be a single suggestion (not a list of
suggestions).
John Langhans
Microsoft Corporation
Supportability Program Manager
Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Windows
Microsoft Office Picture Manager for Windows

For FAQ's, highlights and top issues, visit the Microsoft PowerPoint
support center at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=ppt
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto

Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Steve Rindsberg

John-
Thanks for your reply. I understand that we need to break down the HTML to smaller
pages to fit on a slide. My question now becomes how can we get all of these small
HTML slides into one presentation? Breaking the HTML up into smaller pages is not a
problem, the problem is putting all of the slides together to form a presentation.
Remember we are generating HTML code and saving it with a PowerPoint extension. For
example:
THE DATA
This would be saved as data.ppt If this is not possible to do with HTML can we use
something else to do this such as XML?

Give us a clearer picture of the whole process. Are you doing all this via
automation or ???

What type of content are you generating? If simple title/bulleted text slides,
there's a much easier way of doing it.

Steve
Thanks for the reply. The process is to be completely automated. We have a web based reporting tool that contains about 30 reports. We would like to build a module that allows users to select any number of the reports and arrange them in any order. Once they select the reports, the presentation will be built automatically with the data for each report on a new slide. Some of the reports are plain text, some are images, some are PDF's, some are applets, some are graphs and charts and some do calculations. We were thinking about generating all of the reports in HTML and saving the generated HTML as a PowerPoint file (file.ppt). We thought HTML was the best choice since the reports need to look exactly as they do online (formatting), so we can convert the PDFs, Applets, and perform calculations, and so we can reference the images. Now the issue has become how can we get each report on a single slide? This seems like the only solution for our case, I am all ears if anyone has any other possible solutions.....
Thanks
blew

Camilo Wilson

We have a very very similar need in . Our web application produces an
HTML report with, N tables interspersed with N graphs in one HTTP
request. This is great for browsing on a single page.

When this is viewed by powerpoint using application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,
comes in as a single slide, where it doesn't fit if there is more than
1 table.

We need Powerpoint to view the HTML as N slides. We're happy to
rewrite the HTML, or create MHTML or MHT (these don't seem to work --
only the first HTML page is imported).

Camilo Wilson
www.cogix.com

Steve Rindsberg

Something tells me that however good a job PPT does of HTML, it's still going to come
up short some of the time. On the other hand, have you looked at Shyam Pillai's Live
Web addin? www.mvps.org/skp

It allows you to display your web pages within a PPT slide.

[...]

Steve & Camilo
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately our process has to be completely automated. The users would like to select the reports, click a button and have a PowerPoint Presentation built for them and ready to download and display. Other requirements also require the ability to print the presentation, modify the data if necessary and be able to view the presentation off-line. I did however come across a VB snippet on Shyam Pillai's web page http://www.mvps.org/skp/ppt00030.htm#7 this may be able to help you Camilo. I am not sure if we can use this snippet for a few reasons. First I know nothing about VB at all, I wouldn't know where to start or how to use this snippet. Second our application is built in ColdFusion MX, how can this VB work in ColdFusion MX. Third the application is on a Solaris box, can VB run on a Solaris box? If anyone can has any ideas or insight any assistance would be very much appreciated. The solution doesn't have to be in HTML it can be in anything...
Thanks again for all the help
blew

Steve Rindsberg

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately our process has to be completely automated. The
users would like to select the reports, click a button and have a PowerPoint Presentation
built for them and ready to download and display.

I wonder if you've maybe bitten off more than PPT can chew here. It's possible to automate
PPT in order to create presentations but that presumes PPT's availability; it won't be
there on a Solaris system, not unless you can get it to run under WINE or something like
VMWare.
necessary and be able to view the presentation off-line. I did however come across a VB
snippet on Shyam Pillai's web page http://www.mvps.org/skp/ppt00030.htm#7 this may be
able to help you Camilo. I am not sure if we can use this snippet for a few reasons. First
I know nothing about VB at all, I wouldn't know where to start or how to use this snippet.
Second our application is built in ColdFusion MX, how can this VB work in ColdFusion MX.
Third the application is on a Solaris box, can VB run on a Solaris box?

Nope, sorry. And as a rule, it'd be a good idea to mention that you're not on a Windows
box when posting to heavily Windows-oriented forums like this 'un. Saves lots of
wheel-spinning, yours and everybody else's.

Steve Rindsberg

Steve-
Thanks again for the help. Sorry about the confusion regarding the type of box we are
on. The app is on Solaris but the users are on Windows machines. We can build a
presentation on the Solaris box, the issue is getting the page to break, i.e. inserting
new slides to work. The presentations will be downloaded and used locally, this is not an
issue. As I said the issue is getting the page break / new slide. The VB snippet I found
might insert a new slide, since I am not familiar with VB I was wondering if it is
possible to have this VB run on the Solaris box or if there is a way to get a page break
i.e. inserting a new slide to work?

No, afraid not. VB only runs under Windows.

If it were my problem, I think I'd attack it thus:

Put a decent-quality Windows PC on the network with the Solaris box that's acting as
server. Either share a directory on the PC to the Solaris box or make a directory
available on the net to the Windows PC.

Write an app to run on Windows; it monitors this directory for newly arrived files; when
it finds them, it automates a copy of PowerPoint to do whatever's necessary (ie, inserts
one single-page HTML file after another into a presentation, creating a new slide for
each) then saves the file to someplace where the Solaris box can find it and serve it back
up to the clients.

Camilo Wilson

Steve Rindsberg said:
Nope, sorry. And as a rule, it'd be a good idea to mention that you're not on a Windows
box when posting to heavily Windows-oriented forums like this 'un. Saves lots of
wheel-spinning, yours and everybody else's.
This is an inappropriate rebuke. The poster may be perfectly happy to
require PowerPoint in a PC (as I am), and that sells more copies of
PowerPoint, which helps you, Steve. Please don't act like a Microborg.

The Microsoft documentation on the PowerPoint object model is
incredibly dense, even though it is probably complete. Does anyone
know of more friendly sites for learning how to work with the
PowerPoint object model from VB or VBA? I'm quite certain that with a
fair amount of work, all the things everyone wants todo can be done in
this manner.

Thanks!

Steve Rindsberg

Steve Rindsberg <[email protected]> wrote in message
This is an inappropriate rebuke. The poster may be perfectly happy to
require PowerPoint in a PC (as I am), and that sells more copies of
PowerPoint, which helps you, Steve. Please don't act like a Microborg.

There was no rebuke intended. I simply pointed out that if you want solutions that work
on a Solaris box, it's a good idea to mention that fact when you're asking the question
in a room full of Windows users (as most of us here are), most of whom have never seen or
touched a Solaris box.
The Microsoft documentation on the PowerPoint object model is
incredibly dense, even though it is probably complete. Does anyone
know of more friendly sites for learning how to work with the
PowerPoint object model from VB or VBA? I'm quite certain that with a
fair amount of work, all the things everyone wants todo can be done in
this manner.

Where can I learn more about VBA programming in PowerPoint?
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00032.htm

Thanks for all of the help. Adding a Windows server so we can run VB to simply add a slide in a dynamic presentation doesn't exactly fit into our current architecture and it is highly doubtful that our client is going to approve of this solution. There has to be some other way in which this can be done without using VB. If anyone comes across any other solutions let us know and we will do the same.
Good Luck Camilo and if you figure this out give us a hollar..
Thanks again for the help...