Impact at South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It looks pretty intriguing. Whatever it is has left a clear trail to its final resting place.

Space debris comes to mind, but, if it is something that fell back to earth, wouldn't it have caused a large crater at its point of impact? Hmm... have found myself puzzling over this one, since looking at your link yesterday @TriplexDread.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A huge rock falling off a glacier, bouncing along the "beach" and then onto the frozen sea? It's a long way to roll on ice though, 1km, unless it was travelling VERY fast.

Reaction score
A huge rock falling off a glacier, bouncing along the "beach" and then onto the frozen sea? It's a long way to roll on ice though, 1km, unless it was travelling VERY fast.

Did you zoom out? It's no where near a coast line

Reaction score
If you click the link. Them click 3D it will give you a whole new perspective. The whatever it is has impacted the mountain left a crater in it's side left lots of debris, then slid down and moved over a kilometer away into the snow leaving a trail. You can clearly see where the snow has built up at the edges. Much like a snow mobile would leave when moving.. It couldnt roll for a start. It looks like is was dragged or pulled. But by what>?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How'd you find that mate? No idea what it is, but I'm sure interested now :D. I would have guessed it's maybe just rockfall and a large piece just slid a long way on the slow. 1km is a long way though.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, interesting in 3D. If a large, roundish rock came off the top of the mountain and struck a downslope on the way down it might have enough speed to then roll that far. :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Look like an avalanche, and a boulder or something rolled a lot further down the hill than the rest. Or aliens.

Reaction score
How'd you find that mate? No idea what it is, but I'm sure interested now :D. I would have guessed it's maybe just rockfall and a large piece just slid a long way on the slow. 1km is a long way though.

It was on TikTok the other day. Followed it up. Sure enough it was there.

That is some impact to be able to roll back over 1k
What concerns me is the long mass at the end and also the height shown by the shadows being throw onto adjacent snow.
Must be several metres high?
I have no doubt it has snowed more and covered a lot of the track up and maybe whatever that long mass is.
Wish I had loads of pennies I'd go and investigate

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The object is about 63 metres in length, which means it could not be a bobsleigh, SecureTeam10 continued.

D'ya think?? :lol:

Reaction score
"They claimed to have been part of a scientific expedition to the area and said the object was just a huge rock which had slid down the snow"

A rock huh? A rock the left a trail over a kilometer long and is the size of two bus
Interesting