From: "Dave Stanley" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Subject: IMAP Sent Items - Mark as read
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:25:17 -0000

I have a rule that copies my outgoing emails to my IMAP Sent items folder.
The messages show up as unread. What rule do I need to mark these
automatically as read if it is possible in O2003?

William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications

Neil

(Strange I should look and find this question posted the day prior :)

Hello William,

My situation is similar in nature .. and Outlook 2003 as well.
Having multiple accounts makes it necessary for me to separate SENT
MAIL items into subfolders according to the SMTP account used for
each. The sheer volume of my replies (via differing roles/titles and
email accounts) would be overwhelming to quickly view in the SENT MAIL
folder on a regular basis.

Current Directory Structure of SENT ITEMS
Ex) SENT ITEMS
I currently have Rules for the 'Sent Items' folder, which I
established in the following sequential manner (from within the Rules
wizard)

'Start from a Blank Rule'
1) 'Check messages after sending'
2) 'through the specified account'
3) 'move a copy to the specified folder' <-option c-l-o-s-e-s-t to my
need
4) (no exceptions selected)
'Finish'

In Step 3
We really need the following options available
a) 'move to the specified folder'
b) 'mark as read'

Without (a) and (b),
we are forced to 'copy' the message which
1) creates an unnecessary redundancy (both SENT ITEMS and SENT VIA
ACCT#X)
2) registers copied SENT ITEMS messages as 'UNREAD' messages

I am overlooking something? Is there a better way?

Truly,
Neil