applications that they need to use, in addition to the standard build of
Windows XP SP2, and Office 2003 (so I will be making an image for each
department). As of right now I am currently employing a solution of taking
the desktop, erasing the contents of the HD and reinstalling the build of XP
and Office from the respective CD¹s. I need a more efficient way of doing
this, being a somewhat novice at this, explain this in a particular manner,
would be much appreciated. Things I need to accomplish:

1. How do I make an image of a HD, that can later be distributed (I would
like to store the images on a USB 2.0 HD)
2. How do I go about erasing the contents of a workstations HD, and then
transfer the image onto that computer, from the USB drive. (Do I need to
worry about giving it a different computer name i.e. W10xx?)
3. Is there an application that will allow me to do this in an even more
efficient manner, than having to hook-up the USB drive to each individual
computer. SMS looks like it is too much for our needs.

Thanks for your help.

C

Chuck

Imaging + DeploymentThe first concern to me would be that all the workstations have identical hardware-
Motherboard & Processor
Hard Drive make and model
Video and audio card's
Display/Monitor (some latitude is possible, as long as they are very similar in resolution and use a common video setting.
You may have several variations for one reason or another in the workstations, and need to consider grouping.

Next The WinXP and Office CD's
Are they identical in content
Do you have separate software keys for each system, or a single Corporate key?
(Win XP and Office)
Do you have the appropriate "sysprep" utilities?

Obviously, an image utility that functions with a USB HD will be needed.
Since many of the current workstations come with a version of windows that is "locked" to that particular system, it may be that (without other alternatives) you will be forced to use the CD's system by system.

With the correct tools and CD versions, you can build a common image just as the system OEM does.
I have a group of about 40 Dell Dimension 2400 Workstations, with the computer name numbered W1000-W1039. Each department has a certain set of applications that they need to use, in addition to the standard build of Windows XP SP2, and Office 2003 (so I will be making an image for each department). As of right now I am currently employing a solution of taking the desktop, erasing the contents of the HD and reinstalling the build of XP and Office from the respective CD's. I need a more efficient way of doing this, being a somewhat novice at this, explain this in a particular manner, would be much appreciated. Things I need to accomplish:

1.. How do I make an image of a HD, that can later be distributed (I would like to store the images on a USB 2.0 HD)
2.. How do I go about erasing the contents of a workstations HD, and then transfer the image onto that computer, from the USB drive. (Do I need to worry about giving it a different computer name i.e. W10xx?)
3.. Is there an application that will allow me to do this in an even more efficient manner, than having to hook-up the USB drive to each individual computer. SMS looks like it is too much for our needs.

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question