I'm about to take the plunge and buy a laptop......but which one?

Reaction score
I have always used a fairly high spec desktop PC's. My current PC is a Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM.......

anyway, I need to find a laptop that is roughly as good as my current desktop as I use it for alot of graphics programs, and I often have 2 graphics/CAD programs running at the same time.

Here are 6 laptops that I am considering. I've listed all their specifications here. I'm no laptop expert, so if you think one or two of the following laptops stand out then please let me know.......or maybe you could list them from best to worst? (ignore the prices, I'm just interested in which is the fastest)

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_B..._GHz_17_TFT/4507-3121_7-31703680.html?tag=sub

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...dhhmdgmh.0&sku=143032&tabIndex=1&page=Product

http://www.currys.co.uk/product.php?sku=558522&camp_id=558522

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/Compaq_Presario_V5120EU__6481087

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/Y995785R

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_Presario_V5000Z/4507-3121_7-31727904.html?tag=sub

I have a couple of favourites, but I'd like some impartial expert advise :)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
With laptops you also want to take into consideration weight and battery life and performance, especially if you are running fairly graphically intensive programs.

Have a look at this:
http://www.rockdirect.com/viewNotebook.php?pName=XTREME 64

You wont get much better than that (performance-wise).

The second, third and fourth links are ones you should drop, the first links laptop looked very promising :).

But it all boils down to how you use it..on the go alot, or just a back-up pc.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
1. Editors rating, 5.8 out of 10 ... I'll give it 3

2. An Advent ... that's an Xmas calender, innit?

3. Whoa, that Tosh is cheap ... oh, I see why

4. They give you 512 ram, and nick 128 for the vid & they still make 4200 HDs? ... Huh!!

this ain't looking good here

5. Hmmm, I'll come back to that one ... I came back, I like the next one better, but not by much.

6. ah, that's a wee bit better ... I'll give it 5. :)

Go to Asda & get an Acer, you'll need more ram though. :D

Well, you did ask, and I needed a laugh.
nod.gif

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
AH, now then, that's more like it. :thumb:

9 out of 10 ;)

:D

In my opinion, you might as well use the money to buy a pc.. 1000 quid on a laptop gets you so far, comapared to 1000 quid on a pc which gets you SLI and dual core cpus...

Oh yes forgot, laptops are all about 'work on the go...'

Bah, cant you just carry a pc around instead?:p :D

Reaction score
me again.....

I already have a desktop and I don't think I want to carry it to India......

The laptops listed, in my opening post, are being sold from 400-500 quid (reconditioned/with warranty). So the Rock Xtreme 64 is out of my budget (unfortunately)

Muckshifter, do you have anything positive to say about any of the laptops I'm considering??.......I need to feel good about buying one of these laptops.

I need to get the fastest performance, graphically, and in terms of running very powerful 3D programs. The battery isn't that important since it will be hooked up to the mains for most of the time.

Is Asda really the way to go? I didn't realize they sold laptops.

£500 seems a fortune to me right now, and the idea of buying a load of c*** is a scary thought.

I'm not a laptop person, and it will get sold as soon as I return to the UK!!!!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Muckshifter, do you have anything positive to say about any of the laptops I'm considering??.......I need to feel good about buying one of these laptops.
I already did ... Asda, Acer, 3210 I think it was ... £399, needs more ram, easy enough from Curcial, get a gig ... don't know if they still have it.

I'm afraid I base my criteria on what a desktop should be and if you want the same 'power', then you need up to £1500 ... if all you need to do is 'work', that is Office stuff, then you still need a gig of ram for XP ..."laptops are all about 'work on the go' could not have put it better.

Your timing is a little out as most of the guys & girls here who needed a Laptop for Uni have already left for Uni with them. We may not hear from them for a day or so.

The only one that 'caught my eye' was the last one on your list ... :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
The only one that 'caught my eye' was the last one on your list ... :thumb:

Yup, in fact is has the exact same spec as my current pc. The laptop even has a better monitor! That would be the best compromise for money and performance, but if you need something thats powerful graphically, you may be looking at £1000 and above....

What do you think Mucks? Save for a better laptop, or get one now?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
What do I know ... I only build Desktops.

Hewlet Pratard bought Comcrap ... a mating that was consummated in hell ... however, Comcrap did make reliable Laptops, still do as far as I can see, I also like AMD ... :D

If £500 is all you have, and you only need it for a year, then get one that already has a gig of ram in it. :thumb:

Reaction score
And Mucks if you were realting to Postill going to Uni for his Laptop earlier in this thread, then he got a Dell.

And by the pictures from Dell, his is either a 6400 or a 640m.

Reaction score
The Dell is pretty good psd99. It's just a shame that 3 year warranty isn't included in the price........I would never buy a laptop without good warranty.......they are just too damned risky (unlike my trusty desktop). I'd prefer to pay nearer the £400, but would go to £500 for a good bargain.

Are Toshiba - as a brand - to be avoided? I managed to find someone who will sell me me a Toshiba (the 3rd laptop listed in my opening post).....BUT WITH 1GB RAM.....for £350 (including 3 year PC World warranty) Although warranty isn't going to do me a whole deal of good if I'm stuck in India for 6 months with it. It needs to be reliable!!
http://www.currys.co.uk/product.php?sku=558522&camp_id=558522

Is it rubbish? It's maximum RAM capacity is 1GB, so no chance of upgrade.....but maybe a good bargain for £350??

I've read reviews about it that say the fan starts packing up if it's 'over-used' and that it starts crashing if the graphics is 'over-stretched'.

Reaction score
oh i didnt see the no warranty there....

well i think the deal u are on abt is a good one

1gb notebook for £350 is brilliant

what part of india are you going to go to?
business or what?

Reaction score
i liked the pc world one too
prehaps only a tad overpriced and over my limit
im looking for a laptop too
:)

Reaction score
I think the PC World one was OK too, but not great, and too expensive. I found all the ones I listed in my opening post, for £500 or less. (under warranty)

I'm going to be working in a city, about 130km from Bombay - doing 3D CAD work on a large scale housing design project.

It's a volunteers job, so I don't have much cash to spend on the laptop unfortunately.

I keep telling myself it's all for a good cause :) but laptops are damn expensive

Any donations most appreciated.........;-)

Reaction score
what the name of the city then
if you dont mind

I think you will like Bombay
be sure to pay it a visit!

yer my budget is abt 500 quid too
so ill be looking on this page a lot.......

cheers
psd99