IF or Vlookup?

Suz

Subject: IF or Vlookup?
From: "suz" <[email protected]>
Sent: 1/14/2004 10:57:48 AM

wk end total
1/1/2004 2
1/1/2004 3
1/2/2004 4
1/2/2004 5
Total 14

I would like to create a formula to sum on the rows that
have the same wk end date. There are more than these two
columns (wk end and total and the total column is
actually a sum of two other columns (not shown). The
last row totals the whole total column and I need a
subtotal column next to total. For example a subtotal of
5 right next to the number 3. Please help, I used sumif
and dsum but I don't think I was putting in the right
critera.
..

OZZIE

in yoursreadsheet

Highlight the area from "wk" to "5". then go to data /
subtotal. select for each change in "wk end", sum, add
subtotal to "total".

This will give you the subtotal by your criteria (wk end
date for you), also a grand total, also it can be
collapsed (click on + sign to left)

hth.