    I've been around Excel for a number of years, but am new to VBA. I recently
    came across the code "If Not c Is Nothing Then". Could someone explain to me
    what this means...the double negative throws me.

    Guest, May 10, 2006

    c is going to be an object of some sort. One possiblity is c is going to be a
    range object (a range is a cell or group of cells on one sheet. Being that c
    is an object until it has been "Set" to something it will be "Nothing". Once
    it is set then it essentially points at a range. One common use for checking
    for nothing is when you do a "Find" operation. If nothing is found then the
    range object is still nothing. Now you check the c to determine if it is
    nothing, or if it points to the found cell.

    Guest, May 10, 2006

    Jim Cone Guest

    If True Then '(will execute)
    If False Then '(will not execute)

    c is nothing evaluates to either True of False
    c would be an object variable.
    c will be nothing until it has been assigned an object.
    c is nothing = True if no object is assigned to it.
    c is nothing = False if has been assigned an object.

    "Not" reverses a Boolean designation.
    Not True = False
    Not False = True

    Not c is nothing returns either True or False and the
    "If" statement executes if c has been assigned to an object.
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    Jim Cone, May 10, 2006

    Bob Phillips Guest

    It is the same as

    If c Is Something Then

    which unfortunately is not valid code.

    It is testing if the previous action was successful in creating an object,
    or whether it failed.

    --
    HTH

    Bob Phillips