If Not c Is Nothing Then

I've been around Excel for a number of years, but am new to VBA. I recently
came across the code "If Not c Is Nothing Then". Could someone explain to me
what this means...the double negative throws me.

c is going to be an object of some sort. One possiblity is c is going to be a
range object (a range is a cell or group of cells on one sheet. Being that c
is an object until it has been "Set" to something it will be "Nothing". Once
it is set then it essentially points at a range. One common use for checking
for nothing is when you do a "Find" operation. If nothing is found then the
range object is still nothing. Now you check the c to determine if it is
nothing, or if it points to the found cell.

Jim Cone

If True Then '(will execute)
If False Then '(will not execute)

c is nothing evaluates to either True of False
c would be an object variable.
c will be nothing until it has been assigned an object.
c is nothing = True if no object is assigned to it.
c is nothing = False if has been assigned an object.

"Not" reverses a Boolean designation.
Not True = False
Not False = True

Not c is nothing returns either True or False and the
"If" statement executes if c has been assigned to an object.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"iron" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I've been around Excel for a number of years, but am new to VBA.
I recently came across the code "If Not c Is Nothing Then".
Could someone explain to me what this means...the double negative throws me.

Bob Phillips

It is the same as

If c Is Something Then

which unfortunately is not valid code.

It is testing if the previous action was successful in creating an object,
or whether it failed.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips