IF function says too many nested

T

trey.mahaffey

hello all,

I am trying to create a worksheet that will reference a size (of bays for my company) and when i use the if function i can get some of it to work but i keep runing into problems with too many nested IF functions. i am tryingto reference the number of bays in one cell to return a result to another cell from a named table. i am getting it to work but only halfway.

this is the formula i have so far

=IF(B5>10,"Too many Longitudinal Bays",IF(B11>6,"Lateral Too Big",INDEX(LateralSupportNames,IF(B5=10,8,IF(B5=9,7,IF(B5=8,6,IF(B5=7,5,IF(B5=6,4))))),IF(B11<=4,2,IF(B11<=6,3,IF(B11>6,"Lateral too big",#VALUE!))))))

if i add another IF funciton it return error "you've entered too many arguments for this function"

I am trying to go from 10 bays in B5 down to 3 bays and only can get to 6 then i have the error.

If anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. i am so frustrated and have looked into other formulas but dont know too much about them.

C

Claus Busch

Hi,

Am Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:11:40 -0800 (PST) schrieb
(e-mail address removed):
=IF(B5>10,"Too many Longitudinal Bays",IF(B11>6,"Lateral Too Big",INDEX(LateralSupportNames,IF(B5=10,8,IF(B5=9,7,IF(B5=8,6,IF(B5=7,5,IF(B5=6,4))))),IF(B11<=4,2,IF(B11<=6,3,IF(B11>6,"Lateral too big",#VALUE!))))))

if i add another IF funciton it return error "you've entered too many arguments for this function"

I am trying to go from 10 bays in B5 down to 3 bays and only can get to 6 then i have the error.

you can summarize the IF-statements. Here for B5 (for B11 and/or others
you can enlarge the formula):
=IF(B5>10,"Too many Longitudinal Bays",IF(B11>6,"Lateral Too Big",IF(AND(B5<=10,B5>=3),INDEX(LateralSupportNames,B5-2),"")))

Regards
Claus B.

Ask a Question