Windows Vista IE8 display problems: unwanted line breaks

Reaction score
I am developing an html/php site*, which displays fine in IE7. In IE8, however, there are extra line breaks being added, which messes up the layout completely. It seems to be adding a line break at the end of each table row, so I am getting little white gaps all down the page that I don't want.

(*I'm running it under an apache server on my pc at the moment.)

It displays okay in IE8 if I select 'compatibility view'.

Can anyone suggest a way to fix this so it works properly in IE8?

(I've tried having no gap in the html coding between table rows, but that doesn't work.)

Thank you!

Ruth.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Change to "Internet-Compatibility-mode" for IE ... traditionally Microsoft's IE made up their own rules on how to display the Tinternet.

IE8 is, supposedly, been fixed to display properly ... unfortunately, the whole of the Internet websites, save a few, using IE 8, now needs re-writing.

So, IE 8 is now "compatible" with how websites should work, unfortunately, it now breaks, or seems to break, how the "site" should look using any other IE.

Try Opera, or Firefox, does it "break" ... ?

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

I may be barking up the wrong tree even. :D

Reaction score
I've downloaded Firefox and tried it and it does, indeed, "break" after each table row.

So, I suppose the question I should really be asking is:

How do I stop unwanted "breaks" in html tables?

Specifically, I have table rows into which I have put a 2px high image, to act as a coloured line. The browser is giving a much bigger table row (about 10px), so there is a wide white line above and below my coloured line. How do I force the browser to constrain it to only 2px high?

Ask a Question