Windows XP Ie6

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to this and I'm an absolute novice so please accept my ignorance!

I have just got a new P4 system and recently noticed that on IE6, not all the advertising banners are working and all I am getting is a white box with a red cross. I have altered the security setting to medium (as it was on custom mode) but it hasn't made any difference. How can I get these to show again - it's only a minor thing but any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, no problem here and I have mine set to MedHigh ... do you have any pop-up/Add-stoppers installed they will give you the little red X's ... are you using Norton Security?

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Zone Alarm but haven't got any ad stoppers blocked or downloaded any software to do this (as far as I know!). Am running Kazaa Lite though...

Reaction score
Originally posted by Madbird57
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Zone Alarm but haven't got any ad stoppers blocked or downloaded any software to do this (as far as I know!). Am running Kazaa Lite though...

if you take a look at \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts you will probably see a huge list of servers that are assgned to 127.0.0.1, this is why you get all the red crosses.

Unless it is problem that you cant see the banners I would leave it.

Reaction score
Yeah, some versions of Kazaa Lite will replace your Hosts file in order to "help" you. I'd reccomend just keeping the ones that have Kazaa in the name, and remove the rest. I had this problem a while ago, actually.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Madbird57
Thanks Eric, but how do I access the host files to get rid of the non-kazaa. OS is 98se.

I think but I cant exactly remember (been along time since windows 98) it is /windows/hosts. you should be able to edit it in notepad

Reaction score
Don't remember where it is in 9x. Just do a search for "hosts", and you should be able to edit it with notepad. You'll see a lot of things such as "127.0.0.1 http://www.kazaa.com" keep only the ones with kazaa in it.

Ask a Question