IDE only runs in PIO and not dma

Ian

I've seen a number of references to this problem but no
fix seems to work. Suggestions any1? Master runs dma 2
and will not run in dma 4 which it cabable of doing.
Slave will only run PIO when it can run dma 5. Happy to
receive advice.
Thanks

Antonio Amengual[MSMVP]

ifyuour bios supports dma5 AND you are using 80 wires ide cable, XP will let
you to change pio to dma

--
Bienvenidos al sitio de MVP de Microsoft
Recuerda: Una Consulta, Un Foro:

Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no
otorga ningún derecho.

You assume all risk for your use.

XP Pro-2600-limpia+SP1

por favor
respuestas al grupo; asi nos beneficiamos todos
no se responde personalmente

saludos

Antonio
ms mvp windowsxp shell user

Bob Willard

Antonio said:
ifyuour bios supports dma5 AND you are using 80 wires ide cable, XP will let
you to change pio to dma

In addition to verifying that you have an 80-wire IDE cable, make sure
it is installed correctly (long segment to MB, master device at end,
slave in middle); that all IDE and power cables are fully seated;
and that both devices are either set to cable select or to master
(end device) and slave (middle device). And check that the IDE cable
is within spec (not an extra length job); if possible, replace the
IDE cable with one that is known to work in another PC.

Pete

I have a new Dell 8300, P4, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
Plextor 708a dvd-rw.

I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
dma!!! I read about people burning a dvd in 15-20 min. I wish ! More like an hour.

I've tried everything listed here several times.

primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
updated 708a firmware,
ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
tried cable select,
tried slave and master,
tried master and slave,
tried updating drivers,

I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?

P.

try spending $5.95 and getting a new 80 wire cable of no more than 18 inches in length that looks to be of sturdy build quality.

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?uyBtcnRlZSCr?=

You might as well put a 40 wire cable on the DVD drives. You will not see DMA 5 even with a 80 wire cable. Go to this page http://www.plextor.com/english/products/pdfs/708A.pdf and read the lines after Burst Read/Write.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
| I have a new Dell 8300, P4, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
| Plextor 708a dvd-rw.
|
| I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
| dma!!! I read about people burning a dvd in 15-20 min. I wish ! More like an hour.
|
| I've tried everything listed here several times.
|
| primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
| uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
| updated 708a firmware,
| ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
| tried cable select,
| tried slave and master,
| tried master and slave,
| tried updating drivers,
|
| I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?
|
| P.

MVPinFLA

I had the same problem with my 8300 and it was driving me
crazy. I temporarily made the burner the master and it
had DMA enabled, even though the read only didn't. It got
critical, when I just added a new 160 gig hard drive and
the same problem came up. I finally called Dell after
trying everything and it turns out that they do not enable
the Bios to recognize multiple drives. They gave me the
strange set of steps to go through at the Bios Set Up
Screen and all 4 drives are now on DMA. I can't tell you
how happy I was. Give Dell a call

Pete

Plextor agreed yesterday that the drive was probably faulty. Exchanged
the drive late last night. Installed and working in DMA-2 later last
night.
Problem solved.
Turns out , the retailer (Future Shop) has a one year no questions
asked exchange policy. Wish I'd realized that sooner. Would have
exchanged the drive a week ago.

Thanks to all who helped out.

P.

Pete

Plextor agreed yesterday that the drive was probably faulty. Exchanged
the drive late last night. Installed and working in DMA-2 later last
night.
Problem solved.
Turns out , the retailer (Future Shop) has a one year no questions
asked exchange policy. Wish I'd realized that sooner. Would have
exchanged the drive a week ago.

Thanks to MVPinFLA.

P.