IDE drive limit

ColBlip

I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:

1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
add a couple more connections?

2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
cards?

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Ben Pope

ColBlip said:
I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:

1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
add a couple more connections?

In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
problems booting from them.
2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
cards?

Not seen any.

Most secondary controllers on boards these days are RAID, and you don't
think you'll find more than 4 IDE on the chipset.

I think you'll either be adding a card for IDE or for SATA...

Ben

ColBlip

Hello, Ben!
You wrote on Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:19:09 +0100:

BP> In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
BP> problems booting from them.

The first 1 had both ATA and Raid. During the POST I would get a message to
press F3 for RAID. Well, I didn't have RAID attached to it, only ATA IDE
drives but couldn't get past there.

The 2nd 1 hung up the post once the 4 onboard IDE connected drives listed.

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

_R

BP> In what way do they not work? They should work, but you may have
BP> problems booting from them.

The first 1 had both ATA and Raid. During the POST I would get a message to
press F3 for RAID. Well, I didn't have RAID attached to it, only ATA IDE
drives but couldn't get past there.

The 2nd 1 hung up the post once the 4 onboard IDE connected drives listed.

It's tough to find ATA controllers now, but there are a few. Adaptec,
Promise and a few asian manufacturers like Soyo. I've had trouble
with Promise (though not what you describe). I'll be testing the
Adaptec ASH-1233 soon. That may be your best bet. Available
from BestBuy.

Pete D

Go to your local computer shop, they will have them and if you have a
problem with it you can take it straight back.

gerry

I have an A7V8X m/b with 2 SATA drives installed and 4 IDE devices. I need
connections for two more IDE devices but find that PCI/IDE cards (2 that I
have tried) do not work. Couple of quesitons:

1. For this board, anyone have experience with an IDE/PCI card that works to
add a couple more connections?

2. On a different, but related question, does ASUS make a m/b where one can
have a couple of SATA drives and 6 IDE drives connected without add-in
cards?

sounds ugly ;) you can get 8 SATA and 4 ide, but not the other way
around unless you put in ide controller cards. If I had 6 ide drives,
I'd get the Promise 6 drive raid controller or something similar.

Silvertip

Try the Promise Ultra 133 TX2 if you don't want raid. If you do, they also
make one for that.
Silvertip