IDE Cable


S

Sidmon

New Build system. I want to connect two hard drives and a CD Rom drive to the
motherboard. Do I need to get an extended IDE cable with more than two
connectors or do I just use the second IDE port and connect anoter IDE cable
and connect that way. If thats so what shall I prioritise to the IDE1 and IDE2
and is older IDE cable Ok to use if its a ATA100 Hard drive or do i need newer
cable for this.
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Will Dormann

Sidmon said:
New Build system. I want to connect two hard drives and a CD Rom drive to the
motherboard. Do I need to get an extended IDE cable with more than two
connectors or do I just use the second IDE port and connect anoter IDE cable
and connect that way. If thats so what shall I prioritise to the IDE1 and IDE2
and is older IDE cable Ok to use if its a ATA100 Hard drive or do i need newer
cable for this.

IDE cables have 2 or 3 connectors, and no more. (Thus 2 devices max,
per cable)

You'll have to be more specific as to what "older" or "newer" ide cable
means. You are going to want to use 80-conductor cable for the ATA100
drive.

-WD
 
S

Sidmon

What about the order I put the drive on the IDE1 and IDE2 drives. Am I OK to do
it in whatever order. Or am I best to stick master heard drive and cd rom on
IDE1 and slave hard drive on IDE2.
 
W

Will Dormann

Sidmon said:
Or am I best to stick master heard drive and cd rom on
IDE1 and slave hard drive on IDE2.

That would probably be best. But if cable lengths prevent it, go with
whatever is most convenient.

-WD
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

B

Big Wing Nut!!!

Sidmon said:
What about the order I put the drive on the IDE1 and IDE2 drives. Am I OK to do
it in whatever order. Or am I best to stick master heard drive and cd rom on
IDE1 and slave hard drive on IDE2.
You can only have one master and one slave per cable. I would put the hard
drives as master and
slave on ide1 with the cdrom as master on ide 2 for the added speed if you
taking anything off the
hard drives and putting it on to cd as only one thing can be "transmitted"
on a cable at any one given time,
if you had 2 cdroms the best choice is to put them as slaves on separate ide
channels with you hard drives
as the masters so you would be able to do "on the fly" copying of cd's.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

IDE cables 11
IDE cable switch? 9
WaveMaster IDE Cables 2
IDE cable placements 3
IDE cable length question 2
ide ribbon cable question..... 8
Disaster With Rounded IDE Cables 40
IDE cables master and slave 3

Top