IBM Deskstar hard drive

Lil' Abner

I have an IBM Deskstar DTLA-307060 I bought off eBay. It's a 60 gig
drive. It came preconfigured as master. I wanted to install it as slave
so I changed the jumpers. BIOS does not recognize it as slave. Just like
there was no second drive at all. Windows XP will recognize it even
though BIOS didn't. Windows 98 (which is where I plan to use it) does
not. Configured as master there is no problem with it. If I use a cable
select cable, it works OK as slave.
This is only the second IBM drive I've had. Another one passed through
about 3 weeks ago (used) and I had the same exact problem with that one.
I finally installed it as master in a customer's computer under which
conditions it works just fine.
The IBM drives have a weird bunch of jumper settings. Some for 15
heads and some for 16. It was set up as master with 16 heads, which I'm
sure was right. But I tried both slave settings (15 and 16) and neither
work. If it hadn't been for having the same experience with two different
drives and on different computers, I probably wouldn't be bringing it up
here.
I've already been to IBM's site which led me to Hitaschi's site. No
mention of any such problem. Googled for it, didn't come up with anything
either.
Someone will probably ask if I jumpered the other drive to be master.
Yes, except when I was trying the cable select.
Am I missing something obvious?
Or should I just go get me another cable select cable and be done with
it? :) I had to borrow the one I tried it with.

Trent©

I have an IBM Deskstar DTLA-307060 I bought off eBay. It's a 60 gig
drive. It came preconfigured as master.

What do you mean 'preconfigured as master'? Drives don't come
preconfigured as master or slave. You simply pick that setting with
the jumpers on the drive.

Was the drive partitioned?...formatted?...any operating system on it?
[...]

Without more info (per above) I'd guess that you simply had the
jumpers set incorrectly.
I've already been to IBM's site which led me to Hitaschi's site. No
mention of any such problem. Googled for it, didn't come up with anything
either.
Someone will probably ask if I jumpered the other drive to be master.
Yes, except when I was trying the cable select.
Am I missing something obvious?

I don't think we have enough info to help you. What size and make is
the other drive?
Or should I just go get me another cable select cable and be done with
it? :) I had to borrow the one I tried it with.

If cable select worked, the other settings should work also.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

terry_b17

hi,
are you running 98 because it is an older motherboard ? do you know
the bios size limitation for it ? my p3 tyan motherboard only
recognizes up to 32 gb . you may need to use an ata adapter card or
disk drive overlay software to allow your bios to recognize the drive
. if a new bios is available for your mobo it might also include
support for large disks .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

ChrisJ9876

From: Trent© (e-mail address removed)
Date: 05/08/2004 11:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time

What do you mean 'preconfigured as master'? Drives don't come
preconfigured as master or slave. You simply pick that setting with
the jumpers on the drive.

Was the drive partitioned?...formatted?...any operating system on it?

Without more info (per above) I'd guess that you simply had the
jumpers set incorrectly.

I don't think we have enough info to help you. What size and make is
the other drive?

If cable select worked, the other settings should work also.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Hmmm...there seems to be an unspoken assumption here, and you know what they
say about the word assume. So I have to ask: Are both drives connected to the
same cable? Because if you have a slave and no master on the same channel
(cable) the BIOS may not detect it.
Chris

Lil' Abner

What do you mean 'preconfigured as master'? Drives don't come
preconfigured as master or slave. You simply pick that setting with
the jumpers on the drive.
He had the jumpers set that way.
Was the drive partitioned?...formatted?...any operating system on it?
He had wiped it clean and formatted in in NTFS... all one partition.
Without more info (per above) I'd guess that you simply had the
jumpers set incorrectly.

I don't think we have enough info to help you. What size and make is
the other drive?
The other drive is a Western Digital 120 gig drive. I just wanted to
add this one for storage. I finally got it formatted in Fat 32 as an
extended partiton, but I had to make it Secondary master to be seen. Which
means I had to make my CD-Writer slave, which I'd rather not.
If cable select worked, the other settings should work also.
That's kinda what I thought too!

Lil' Abner

(e-mail address removed) (ChrisJ9876) wrote in
Hmmm...there seems to be an unspoken assumption here, and you know
what they say about the word assume. So I have to ask: Are both drives
connected to the same cable? Because if you have a slave and no master
on the same channel (cable) the BIOS may not detect it.
Yeah, they were both on the Primary IDE cable. While I was playing
around, I tried reversing their roles. I made the IBM master and the
other one (Western Digital) slave. Then it could see the IBM but not the
Western Digital! It just doesn't seem to want to be on the same IDE
channel with another drive.

Lil' Abner

(e-mail address removed)-spam.invalid (terry_b17) wrote in
hi,
are you running 98 because it is an older motherboard ? do you know
the bios size limitation for it?
Nope... it's a PC266 motherboard, only a couple of years old. I've
been running a 120 gig drive on it all along with no overlay. At one time
I was running the 120 and an 80 as slave and master on the primary IDE.

ChrisJ9876

From: "Lil' Abner" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 05/09/2004 1:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time

--

I have 2 Deskstars (20g & 40g)on the same channel, plugged master & slave, not
cable select, and they work just fine (Win98SE). Could be the WD & the IBM just

Shep©

[...]

Try here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/jumpers.htm

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Trent©

The other drive is a Western Digital 120 gig drive. I just wanted to
add this one for storage. I finally got it formatted in Fat 32 as an
extended partiton, but I had to make it Secondary master to be seen. Which
means I had to make my CD-Writer slave, which I'd rather not.

Scenario...with both drives on the same IDE cable...for Western
Digital to be master...and IBM to be slave...

IBM should be set to 'master'. There is only one jumper setting for
either master or single drive on the IBM. So, if you have no slave on
the cable, the drive will still be recognized with this jumper
setting. Try this setting without the other drive on the cable...to
be sure that the drive is recognized.

Jumpers must be installed VERTICALLY...not horizontally...as per the
schematic on the top of the drive. All other jumpers not needed
should be taken off....so as not to cause problems for you.

The WD should be set to 'slave'. There should be no confusion with
this setting. As noted above, the jumper should be installed
vertically...as per the schematic.

There IS a separate setting for 'master' and 'single drive' on some WD
drives...but this should not be considered for the above scenario.

If the above doesn't work, there's always a chance that the drive is
defective...and that the jumper isn't shorting out the pins.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Trent©

Am I missing something obvious?

Forgot to ask...

Do you have that controller turned on in the BIOS?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Andy

The other drive is a Western Digital 120 gig drive. I just wanted to

The WD drive has two different master jumper settings: one WITHOUT
slave and one WITH slave.

Charles

This may have more to do with the motherboard the BIOS and the Cable
you are using. My Asus A7N8X prefers Cable Select and does not like
the Master and Slave Settings. It is the motherboard.

Lil' Abner

Forgot to ask...

Do you have that controller turned on in the BIOS?

Yep.. set on AUTO. It'll find it if it's master or cable select, but
not if it's slave.

Lil' Abner

Thank you! I believe that's what it is. I've built systems, added hard
drives, subtracted hard drives, etc. to piles of computers. That's what I
do for a living. I understand BIOS, jumper settings, 80 pin cables, which
one is pin #1. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't something beyond my scope
of knowledge. I've only experienced two IBM drives, and I had the same
problem with both of them. Well, except one new one on a computer I built
from scratch. In that case it was the only drive so I didn't have any
problems with that one.
I'm going to let it die at this point. I've configured it as master on
the secondary IDE port. It's not really what I wanted, because I had to
make my CD-Writer slave, but it seems to be working OK. And it's on my
own computer so if it's less than perfect I can live with it. Or go and
scavange up a cable select cable.
Thanks to everyone in this thread for your help and suggestions!

Toshi1873

Yeah, they were both on the Primary IDE cable. While I was playing
around, I tried reversing their roles. I made the IBM master and the
other one (Western Digital) slave. Then it could see the IBM but not the
Western Digital! It just doesn't seem to want to be on the same IDE
channel with another drive.

When you say "I made the IBM master and the other one
(Western Digital) slave"... did you

a) simply swap positions on the cable

or

b) change jumper settings on *both* drives (so that one
is master and the other is jumpered as slave)

kony

I've configured it as master on
the secondary IDE port. It's not really what I wanted, because I had to
make my CD-Writer slave,

There is no technical reason why the CDRW can't be slave... the
manufacturers may advise making it master but they're just too lazy to
print up an overview of techologies and issues and instead just opt for a
short answer.

Trent©

Yep.. set on AUTO. It'll find it if it's master or cable select, but
not if it's slave.

Just curious...

If yer not already using an 80-wire cable for those drive (capable of
CS), what kind of cable ARE you usin'?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but...

For each one of the scenarios, tell us what pins you have jumpered.
Make sure you tell us about ALL the pins yer usin'...anything that has
a jumper across it in any direction.

I still think its a jumper problem...especially since everything works
in cable select.

I've put in a lot of IBM's and WD's...and never use CS. I've never
had a problem of any kind.

Anyway...if yer burned out...good luck! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©