I need to know if this is a serious concern...

Steve Rhode Turtle Harris

I recenly received the following email:
-----
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Fat sluts suck huge cocks

Your computer is wide open to the prying eyes of the
Internet!
Anyone across the globe can send pop-ups like this
*directly* to
your computer without any virus or making you visting any
web page.
This new form of advertising is catching on very fast and
soon those
same ads that clog your email will be right in the middle
of your
screen. Protect yourself by installing our messenger
blocker software
and closing the hole for good.
For more information and our easily installed solution...
VISIT : www.messengerblocker.com

This is not spam because you put your email address on
our opt
in list
-----
My question is this: Is this a serious concern and
software I should consider having, is it something
already provided for with Microsoft's software (I use
Outlook Express and Internet Explorer) or is it something
Microsoft is work on? I sincerely appreciate your
response.

Steve Harris

Duncan

Even though it says it's not spam, it looks like it is.
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to install something
on your computer unless it comes from a trusted source.
Do you trust the person how sent you the e-mail? Looking
at the Subject line, somehow I don't think you should.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

This particular "sales method" is strikingly similar to the
"protection" rackets offered to small businesses by organized
criminals. Yes, it's a scam; no reputable business would need to
resort to extortion. Particularly since they're trying to sell you a
type of protection that is already available to you free of charge.

This a type of spam has become quite common over the past few
months, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you may well be open to other threats. Install and use a decent,
properly configured firewall. (Disabling the messenger service, as
some people recommend, only hides the symptom, and does nothing to
secure your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" these
messages and the problem they represent is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: