I must be doing something wrong because vista WORKS for me!

vistamagic

I have been fed up with all these Vista Naysayers whining about Vista,
that its not good.. well I am here to tell them all that they are all
wrong because I tested it!

Here is how I did it:

I did a fresh install of vista on a $3000 machine,
I then updated everything, but was careful to not install anything else.

Then went to the screensaver and power settings and disabled everything
so that the computer would be on all the time...

Just to be sure I unplugged the network cable too!

then I pointed my webcam that I have on my laptop to record that
computers activity...

After 1 whole week nothing has happened to vista! Its still there
running! I CALL THAT ROCK SOLID!!!!

I dont allow anyone near it in order to not disrupt my test!

I guess thats a big blow to all those stupid vista bashers.. THEY KNOW
NOTHING!

Oh I love you vista.. sliced bread now is second in my choice of best
things in the world!

Ron O'Brien

vistamagic said:
I have been fed up with all these Vista Naysayers whining about Vista,
that its not good.. well I am here to tell them all that they are all
wrong because I tested it!

You are not alone, I did a fresh install on a rather aging PC by today's
standards (AMD 64 FX53 2 gig RAM ASUS A8V deluxe mobo) and it has been a
huge improvement on XP Pro.
My only gripe is that my beloved Winfax software won't work and then there's
the well documented moan about copying and deleting times and the fact that
Winmail likes to show me the rotating blue circle for several seconds before
the program fully opens (but it makes a changed from seeing an hourglass!).
Having said that, I never used Outlook Express in XP to know if that would
have been in the same in XP.

Of course I'm only a couple of weeks into Vista, so lots that may go wrong,
but I rather think this is stable and it's more likely to be people that
make it go wrong...will I eat my words?????

Ron

LAB Enterprises

Okay, I'm trying to figure out if you are being sarcastic and finally
decided you were.

Honestly, my Vista Home Premium runs flawlessly on my $800 HP Pavillion
laptop with wireless
networking, printing, and about 30 programs installed from business to games
(the oldest being Quickbooks pro 2006) with no problems whatsoever. Oh and
my power settings and screensaver are enabled and fully functional too. My
sister's $500 HP Pavilion laptop runs flawlessly on Vista Ultimate btw with
1 Gig of ram.

However, I traded in a Toshiba Satellite Pro I had less than 30 days for
this HP and the Toshiba had TONS of problems even though it was a very
similar configuration (2 gigs of ram, same dual core processor, etc). Main
difference is the Toshiba had ATI graphics, the HPs has nVidia.

So I think Vista problems are less about Vista and more about the hardware
it is installed on. It also seems to make a huge difference if it is an
upgrade install or clean install so as I've told friends, always do a clean
install if you upgrade to Vista.

Lori

ray

[...]

Don't you find it a bit limiting to not be able to install any software?

Steve Thackery

Well, a year ago I installed Vista on my home-built machine, which cost me a
few hundred quid. I then installed a whole stack of software, and I've left
it switched on and connected to the Internet ever since.

During that time I've thrashed its balls off (graphics editing, software
development, video editing, plus endless hours of editing gigantic documents
in Office 2007, but no games at all); installed and uninstalled all sorts of
crappy and good software; and made sure it damn well worked for its living.

No, I didn't install any anti-virus software, but yes, I let it install all
the automatic updates.

Pretty well all the settings are as "out-of-the-box", but I did make my
account an administrator so I don't have to type anything at the UAC
prompts. Talking of which, they are now rare and no bother at all.
Meanwhile it silently defrags the disk, the search facility works great, and
the interface is SO much more sophisticated and professional than that
hideous Fisher Price joke that came with XP.

No crashes, no blue-screens, no serious problems (the few minor problems
disappeared as the updates came through).

So yes, I agree - VISTA IS GREAT!

SteveT

Slap

vistamagic said:
I have been fed up with all these Vista Naysayers whining about Vista,
that its not good..

Here is how I did it:

I did a fresh install of vista on a $3000 machine,
I then updated everything, but was careful to not install anything else.
Me too, only I hit the Boxing Day Sale (Future Shop, Canada) and picked up a
nice HP Dual Core jobby (E4300, 1.8) for $299.00 - came with Vista Home
Premium on it already installed. I think that's what Vista costs by itself.
It only had a GB of ram so my next stop was the local computer store that
had 1GB sticks on for $12 each. I splurged and bought Kingston for $15
each, now up to 3GB.

Now I'm at $330. As luck would have it the ol 15 inch LCD just plugged
right in and works just for now. Certainly not the fastest machine but she
has been running 24/7 since Boxing Day with zero problems. I installed a
few programs that my wife uses.
Then went to the screensaver and power settings and disabled everything
so that the computer would be on all the time...
I didn't do that... did set the screen to off in 15 minutes of inactivity.
Just to be sure I unplugged the network cable too!
I use the network... darned if the $299 box didn't have a network card built
in.
then I pointed my webcam that I have on my laptop to record that
computers activity...
I don't have a web cam.
After 1 whole week nothing has happened to vista! Its still there
running! I CALL THAT ROCK SOLID!!!!
Mine since Boxing Day... 18 days?
I dont allow anyone near it in order to not disrupt my test!
My wife's computer... she, like you, won't let me near it. I did get to set
it up tho.
I guess thats a big blow to all those vista bashers..
I edited out some stuff on your line above. I think most people have
problems when they try to upgrade on suspect, older hardware. They should
probably stay with XP.
Oh I love you vista.. sliced bread now is second in my choice of best
things in the world!
I like 'pockets'.

Frank

ray said:
Don't you find it a bit limiting to not be able to install any software?

Nothing like making a fool out of yourself right ray?
First, you don't have Vista so you don't really have any idea what's
it's capable of running right?
You're an MS hating linux loving troll, right?
Frank

cashable

Don't you find it a bit limiting to not be able to install any software?

If you're doing it wrong, so am I. I loved Vista Home Premium so much
this week I bought Vista Ultimate. By-the-way, I watched my wife's
reaction to the new OS and she took to it like a duck to water. What's
with all the wining.... _____Cashable

Frank

cashable said:
If you're doing it wrong, so am I. I loved Vista Home Premium so much
this week I bought Vista Ultimate. By-the-way, I watched my wife's
reaction to the new OS and she took to it like a duck to water. What's
with all the wining.... _____Cashable

It's the last dying breath mainly from the MS hating, linux loving
trolls who just can stand the fact that Vista is the best OS available
today.
Fukk'em!
Frank

thetruthhurts

About the only way to get Vista working is to a) buy new hardware to
avoid device driver problems, b) don't hook it up to anything, and c)
avoid all apps that are not M$.

Looks like it work for you.

Frank

thetruthhurts said:
About the only way to get Vista working is to a) buy new hardware to
avoid device driver problems, b) don't hook it up to anything, and c)
avoid all apps that are not M$...

hehehe...wrong...first you need to actually have Vista...LOL!
Idiot!
Frank

john

vistamagic said:
I have been fed up with all these Vista Naysayers whining about Vista,
that its not good.. well I am here to tell them all that they are all
wrong because I tested it!

Woah, in that case, I feel I'll be forced to completely reevaulate my
opinions.

If YOU tested it, well then it MUST be OK and anyone who says otherwise is
just flat out WRONG.

I guess we can close the books on this discussion once and for all.
Good work... really.

John Smith

this post was ment to be sarcastic, doing exactly what you said in order for
it to work and be stable!

LOL its funny that only a few caught on to this....

I mean really, putting a camera to watch a vista box just sitting there???
LOL

Rich

I have been fed up with all these Vista Naysayers whining about Vista,
that its not good.. well I am here to tell them all that they are all
wrong because I tested it!

Vista is Rock Solid, fast and enjoyable.

Newsgroups of this kind are for people looking for help.
However this does not limit those who come here to solely those people ..
heh

You get legitimate problems with questions asked.
You get questions easily answered with two minutes of research.
You get old wives tales asked about.
You get disinformation tossed into the group.
You get 12 year olds with their "watch this" posts.
You get 90% litter and 10% value.
You get 90% OPINION and 10% "ah ha" useful info.
You get what you pay for ;)

Usenet is NOT for the gullible.

All in all its a good resource for information, sort of like panning for
GOLD.

Rich

forty-nine

John said:
this post was ment to be sarcastic, doing exactly what you said in order for
it to work and be stable!

LOL its funny that only a few caught on to this....

I mean really, putting a camera to watch a vista box just sitting there???
LOL

It's just more lies from you.
Like every other Vista complaint from you, you just make it up.

99% of the time ...its user error. (100% of the time for you)
Stupid Dork...tell your mom I said Hi

Dustin Harper

While I wouldn't call them wrong, as Vista does have some issues with some
setups, I haven't had any problems, either. I love Vista and recommend it to
anyone that has the hardware to run it. If you have 512MB of RAM on a P4
1.6, obviously it will be slow and probably not worth it. But, a new
Core2Duo with 2 GB of RAM (or 4 GB, as it's so low in price now! WOW!) hauls
some serious butt!

And for those that say XP is faster. Uh... Really? Of course it is! Windows
3.11 is faster, still! That's how progress works in the computer world. You
want your software to keep up with the hardware.

I run mine 24/7 and very rarely have to do a reboot. And for those that do
the same, look into Folding@Home (http://www.hardfolding.com). It uses your
spare CPU cycles for the good of humanity.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

I have no problems installing software.
If you are, what have the manufacturers of your problematic software
said when you asked about Windows Vista Compatibility?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Your continued failures where others succeed is more a reflection on
your own inability and less on anything else,

Windows Vista perform well on two older computers of mine.
FACTS you can NOT disprove.