I might lose two HDDs of data.. please help

Reaction score
I don't know how to start..

I bought a new 500 GB HDD and connect it to the PC. Everything is fine then I removed one of my HDDs then reattached the new HDD to the same slot or maybe another one I don't remember.

Then the crisis happened. I found out that the new 500 GB HDD is not recognized, then I thought let me use another slot and an old 500 GB HDD faces the same problem.

To keep you on track and not confused.. here is the details of the HHD's I have

250GB -------> the system and working fine
320GB --------> gave it to a friend
500GB the new one--------> the disk management shows it as missing and offline.
500GB old one -----------> same problem and has the most important data.

so I tried to play with the new HDD by converting it from a dynamic to a basic (I found out that it's not very smart to make it dynamic). now it has a new unformatted partition.

And disconnect the old HDD and connected it to another PC but it shows it as unreadable disk and offline!!..

Now in the disk management I deleted the old 320GB disconnected disk (I don't know why it's still there).
So the disk management now shows:
Disk 0 ---------> system disk (basic)..
Disk 1 --------> the new unformatted 500GB disk. dynamic and online
Two missing 500GB disks, dynamic and offline!!! it should be only one left not two.

And after reading some of many articles in the internet I'm still confused and don't know what to do.
I understand that the problem might be because of a corrupted MBR or the boot sector or something close..

I guess the only hope for the new one is to recover the whole data but for the new and important one I hope I don't need to do that.

My system specifications:
XP SP2
1 basic HHD has the system
Two dynamic HHDs have the problem. all SATA II
Gigabyte 956P-DQ6 (motherboard)

I know that wasn't very clear but I hope someone can help me
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ask a Question