I just bought a ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Plextor PX-256M5P 256GB M5 Pro SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch 7mm Internal SSD Kit Including 3.5 Inch Bracket ... £178.49 :blush:

My excuse, yes I need an excuse, is I'm pretty sure the random freezing is down to the hard drive ... that would be 3 drives in 18months ... tho' it could be anything.

Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ... no food shopping for the rest of the month, well, I'll get milk for me coffee. :)

Will be here, next day delivery, Tuesday the 5th, that's tomorrow. :lol:

:drool:

Reaction score
Congrats!
Currently using a Crucial M4 128GB for the OS drive and it's been the best thing I have bought component-wise for a long time!
I think the original controllers for the drives had some problems but they seem to be ironed out nowadays - Just make sure you don't defragment it! I had all sorts of blue screen weirdness until I realised Windows was automatically running scheduled defrags every week by default on the drive and I didn't have any more problems after stopping that...

muckshifter

Reaction score
Installed ... I did a clean install in the end ... now I have the basics loaded, time to go get the fun stuff.

Oh, a piece of advice, make sure you have your motherboard drives at hand before delivery of new hardware ... took me 45mins to find the damned CD. :rolleyes:

I do love Google Chrome, no need to 'save' anything, they done did it for me, all bookmarks & passwords auto updated a second after install. :thumb:

Wonder how long GW2 is gonna take to download. :sleep:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Congrats Mucks, here's hoping it's the solution to your problem.

Do you notice things running any faster?

I know I've mentioned it before but prior to my 120Gb Corsair SSD I was running a pair of WD 150Gb Velicoraptors in a RAID 0 (10,000 spindle speed as opposed to the more usual 7200rpm).

So what difference in performance did I notice between the two disk options? Zilch. Nowt. Bugger all.

However, that's probably a good thing cos a pair of 'raptors in RAID 0 is pretty quick. Add to that I don't know what the speeds of my SSD are but I'm betting it's the slower end cos I bought this fairly soon after SSD's came out and it wasn't the most expensive disk at the time.

It's been running for over two years now so I'm well pleased with it :)

Interesting to read that SSD's don't seem to like defrag, I've no idea if I have a defrag facility set to auto (Win 7 64 Bit Home Premium) I'll have to check.

And locating the motherboard disk? Hah ha, Mr Organised here has 4 computers around the place and each has it's own metal box on a shelf with everything pertaining to it, including all the disks and all those myriad of spare bits and leads you always get with a motherboard.

Doncha hate me for that? :D

Good luck with your new toy, your ration book's on the way with extra coupons for condensed milk and powdered egg ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
yep, it does seem to be a tad quicker, boot time has defiantly halved ... will let you know if GW2 benefits from the supposed speed of this thing.

I did some homework before choosing this drive ... it's a newish kid on the block ... in 'reviews' it was as good as some of the more established drives such as Samsung, who were my first choice, however, it not only beat their score, it's also cheaper and comes with 5 year warranted as opposed to the general 3 years of most other drives.

I'll let yous know how the games fair. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Great choice! I love stuff from Plextor. Never liked any optical drive other than Plextor.

Have fun! :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
a wee update

Windows is a lot smarter / quicker is all aspects. :thumb:

I've had a little play on GW2, not reloaded LoTRO yet, that's gonna be an overnight download job. LoTRO was a bugger for hard drive stutters.

I've found that in GW2 there is a difference in the smoothness in anything hard drive related, especially screen-load times, a definite improvement there. FPS and such is the same as was, then I didn't expect that to change anyway.

Where I do notice a big difference is in background applications, like having Skype and or Teamspeak running and ALT-tabbing to Chrome. The latter would cause a kind of lag for a few seconds when returning to the game, nice to see that's all but gone. :)

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome, it has made a difference, quite noticeable. The Plextor PX-256M5P 256GB M5 Pro gets a :thumb: from me.

:user: