I deleted TrustedInstaller.exe

I use my PC for gaming and it acts as the hub for the multimedia in my
apartment. It's a mid-ranged machine that handles 3D Accelerated games
nicely, acts as a DVD Player, DVR, stereo and secondary TV.

I had absolutely no problems with the computer performance with XP, but
after switching to Vista Ultimate, one annoying little process has made my
left hell.

TrustedInstaller.exe randomly pops up on my taskmanager and sucks up between
50%-90% of my CPU power right in the middle of my other processes. If I'm
playing a game, the frame rates drop to an unplayable level for 10 minutes,
if I watching a DVD, the video and sound skip consistantly, and worse of all,
if I DVR a TV program I was recording to watch later and
"TrustedInstaller.exe" decides to kick in, for about 5 to 10 minutes, that
recording is nothing but pauses, skips, and jumps for the length of time it's
running.

So.. I check online for a solution to my problem. I google
TrustedInstaller, I check the forums on some Vista sites, I come here and
look for solutions. All I find is people complaining, others agreeing and
NOT ONE Solution other then kill the process or set it's priority to low.

My solution, I deleted the damn file. No more TrustedInstaller.exe. For
the last week my gaming has been smooth, my DVR recordings are without skips,
my DVDs have played nicely. The only thing I get is an error message saying
that windows coudln't access the file. For what process or procedure? I
don't know.. but I don't care either. If Microsoft can't be straight and
forward with what that process is up to and what functions on your computer
use TrustedInstaller.exe then it has no place on my computer.

That's my story and why I did what I did.

p.s. I didn't actually delete the file. I just moved it and renamed it to
Trustedinstaller.old

Lang Murphy

b00urns said:
[...]

Just because Windows is throwing a message that it can't find
trustedinstaller.exe doesn't mean that's a MS file that ships with Vista.
More likely, or I should say as likely, because I don't know for sure and
admit that here and now, that file was installed by one of your games or
some other application and there's a registry key that's some other process
is using to attempt to access that exe... since you moved it... it ain't
found.

Doing a search on one of my Vista Ulitmate PC's (with all files unhidden)
returns nothing when searching for "trusted".

So... I don't think that's a Windows Vista file. Sure, I could be wrong...
and if I am, no doubt others will point that out.

Lang

Jane C

Hi Lang,

TrustedInstaller.exe is an integral part of Vista. It is the Windows Module
Installer, and resides in C:\Windows\Servicing.

No doubt the OP may have to re-enable it sooner or later ;)

Lang Murphy

Jane C said:
Hi Lang,

TrustedInstaller.exe is an integral part of Vista. It is the Windows
Module Installer, and resides in C:\Windows\Servicing.

No doubt the OP may have to re-enable it sooner or later ;)

Jane,

Thanks for clarifying that... search failed me, apparently... guess I don't
have the windows dir indexed... but I would have expected it to... ah,
nevermind...

Lang

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Jane is correct trustedinstaller is an integral part of Windows Vista.
This will affect all servicing so the ability to install all os updates
including security updates may not be available, the ability to change
optional components may not work, or to add or remove OS related
components..
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Jane C" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: I deleted TrustedInstaller.exe
|> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:57:46 +1000
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Hi Lang,
|>
|> TrustedInstaller.exe is an integral part of Vista. It is the Windows
Module
|> Installer, and resides in C:\Windows\Servicing.
|>
|> No doubt the OP may have to re-enable it sooner or later ;)
|>
|> --
|> Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
|> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
|> MVP Windows Shell/User

If

For

|> > Just because Windows is throwing a message that it can't find
|> > trustedinstaller.exe doesn't mean that's a MS file that ships with
Vista.
|> > More likely, or I should say as likely, because I don't know for sure
and
|> > admit that here and now, that file was installed by one of your games
or
|> > some other application and there's a registry key that's some other
|> > process is using to attempt to access that exe... since you moved
it... it
|> > ain't found.
|> >
|> > Doing a search on one of my Vista Ulitmate PC's (with all files
unhidden)
|> > returns nothing when searching for "trusted".
|> >
|> > So... I don't think that's a Windows Vista file. Sure, I could be
wrong...
|> > and if I am, no doubt others will point that out.
|> >
|> > Lang

Lang Murphy

Jane C said:
Hi Lang,

TrustedInstaller.exe is an integral part of Vista. It is the Windows
Module Installer, and resides in C:\Windows\Servicing.

No doubt the OP may have to re-enable it sooner or later ;)

Jane,

I replied earlier today, but for some reason it either didn't leave my
outbox... or whatever...

Thanks for straighening me out on that... dumb-ass that I am, I forgot that
indexing isn't turned on by default for the Windows dir... DOH! (I thought
I'd turned it on for that dir, but apparently NOT! I hate when that
happens!)

Anyway, LOL, nevermind!

Lang

Lang Murphy

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Jane is correct trustedinstaller is an integral part of Windows Vista.
This will affect all servicing so the ability to install all os updates
including security updates may not be available, the ability to change
optional components may not work, or to add or remove OS related
components..
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Jane C" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: I deleted TrustedInstaller.exe
|> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:57:46 +1000
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Hi Lang,
|>
|> TrustedInstaller.exe is an integral part of Vista. It is the Windows
Module
|> Installer, and resides in C:\Windows\Servicing.
|>
|> No doubt the OP may have to re-enable it sooner or later ;)
|>
|> --
|> Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
|> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
|> MVP Windows Shell/User

If
worse
of

here
and

TrustedInstaller.exe.
For

renamed
it

|> > Just because Windows is throwing a message that it can't find
|> > trustedinstaller.exe doesn't mean that's a MS file that ships with
Vista.
|> > More likely, or I should say as likely, because I don't know for sure
and
|> > admit that here and now, that file was installed by one of your games
or
|> > some other application and there's a registry key that's some other
|> > process is using to attempt to access that exe... since you moved
it... it
|> > ain't found.
|> >
|> > Doing a search on one of my Vista Ulitmate PC's (with all files
unhidden)
|> > returns nothing when searching for "trusted".
|> >
|> > So... I don't think that's a Windows Vista file. Sure, I could be
wrong...
|> > and if I am, no doubt others will point that out.
|> >
|> > Lang

Darrell,

Thanks for verifiying my dumb-ass-ness on this one... oops! (Just
kidding...) I better go add the windows dir to my search index...

Thanks,

Lang