I can only fax text files using FAXCOMLib (VB.NET)!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

Really hoping somebody knows the answer to this one...

I've created a simple fax method that will be transmitting documents (mostly in Word and Excel format) for a customer.

A small problem is...it'll only send ".txt" text files (notepad is my default app for this.). I've read what seems like every post on the web on FAXCOMLib looking for a solution to no avail.

Somewhere along the way, I've read that this might be to do with a new user (the ASPNET user account) opening Word, Excel, Acrobat and being presented with a modal dialog (enter your initials for Word, Excel...updates etc for Acrobat) - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

The specific error is:

An Error occured during Fax Transmission
-----------------------------------------
Source: Interop.FAXCOMLib
Stack Trace: at FAXCOMLib.IFaxDoc.Send() at FaxTest.Fax.btnFax_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Yours frustratedly,

Ryan Cleary.

Reaction score
Half way there...I think!

I've discovered a little more about why this is happening...

It is to do with file associations...more specifically - the printto action of the .doc and .pdf extensions.

I'm now hunting around for the correct DDE Message to run Word silently (without displaying the interface and with no dialogs).

If anybody has had this problem before and could shed a little light I would be much obliged!

Ryan Cleary.

Reaction score
Did you even reach a solution on this issue. I am at the exact same point. Thanks.

Reaction score
Permissions

Hi Dm32z,

Yeah, in the end I was barking up the wrong tree... it was permissions for both the Fax component and Word in DCOM/COM+ config.

A little irritating but it pays off in the end.

Good luck getting your settings sorted!

Ryan.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I just want to make sure as I am still banging my head against the wall over here. You have for sure gotten it to work on IIS6? I went through the DCOM/COM+ configs after reading your reply (found the MS white papers about it), but I am still getting no where. I just want to double check you have had success with IIS 6 as by the reading of this site with IIS 6 it is not possible at all.

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2006/05/11/Office_Automation_and_IIS.aspx

Thanks.

Ask a Question