I bought a new phone ... Nexus 5

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hey! it was only £36.00 squids on what O2 call their Refresh early upgrade. :)

http://www.google.co.uk/nexus/5/

It's a ... Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800, 2.26GHz, with a Adreno 330, 450MHz GPU, 1080p screen, 4G LTE, 32GB storag and is, Black. :D

Runs a KitKat, or is that, Runs on KitKat ... can they use that logo?

Originally was KitKat 4.4.2, it then updated to 4.4.3 and once more to 4.4.4 :lol:

We shall see if all the failings have been addressed ... hopefully Google has addressed some of the battry life ailments, and, fortunately for me, I have a proper camera, so I ain't too fussed about that. :p

As an avid Google users, thought it only natural to progress to the Phone also ... the big bonus, I only have what I need and use, and NOT 3 versions of Google/O2/Samsung apps that did the same thing. :rolleyes:

Ordered last night around 7.30pm, arrived 9.20am this morning.:bow:

oh, and I fixed the WiFi on the BT modem ... I finally used the right password. :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That looks very nice indeed Mucks, enjoy :D

Mobile phones are a bit like eyewear... Large, owlish glasses-frames were, over time, superceded by tiny ones, which are now, gradually becoming larger again. Phones began as a "brick" before they were shrunk to the size of a pack of Swan Vestas... and now, they're growing again. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Wow that sure is a speedy turnaround between order and delivery! :thumb:

Hope you're enjoying your new toy :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I can't make any calls! ... well I can ... but all my contacts are on the Samsung old sim card, the new card is very small, so the old one no fitty in phone.

Made an appointment with o2 shop to 'copy' over contact's list, 'cos I bored copying numbers over ... surprising how many numbers you can acquire. :lol:

oh, and yeah, I do like this new toy ... spending is, however, over for this year. :cheers:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The days of 'saving' your contacts on the phone are dead, syncing (via Gmail) is the way forward. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The days of 'saving' your contacts on the phone are dead, syncing (via Gmail) is the way forward. :)

yes, I know ... another reason to buy the Nexus ... I just never got around to puttin' all my numbers with the Google ones. I have the most important few I need for now.

The 'voice' chat with KitKat/Google is great ... can find some really obscure stuff. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Congrats on the new phone Mr Mucks :)

You can get a sim card cutter very cheaply on Ebay, it will trim your large Sim card to a titchy one, I bought one when I bought my iPhone 4 and wanted to use my large Sim card from an old clunker of a Samsung.

I'm still happy with the iPhone 4 btw, nowt to tempt me, I don't do online on my phone, all I use it for is phone calls, a little texting and as a small capacity iPod for music on the move.

Bit of a bargain you got there Sir Mucks, must admit I'm curious.

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh, yeah, I remember now you saying you bought that little tool, I should have asked for a loan of it. :D

Not a worry tho', I have a 2.30pm 'appointment', which I've already had a reminder, for tomorrow. :)

I'm also pleased to say, I don't seem to be suffering from some of the 'battery life' complaints that people were complaining about ... if anything, I'm getting more millage out of it than the Samsung, and I'm on it quite a bit. :nod:

Funny how these "reviewers" don't go back and reevaluate a product, especially as in some cases, they may have thrown some people off the idea of a Nexus 5 in the first place. Battery life was an issue on release, apparently. :)

we need a phone Smillie ... :user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
we need a phone Smillie ... :user:

50fcwh.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Another great phone for stock Android is the Moto G (and the newer Moto E) if your wondering Flops. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-8GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B00ECBREK2/ref=zg_bs_356496011_4

Absolute steal for the price, 8Gb, or the 16Gb of you want more space

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Mucks, as your the only one I know on here with a N5, I volunteer you to flash the new Android L Dev Preview. :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/rom-n5-l-developer-preview-t2796003

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Because its Android and you can. Thats why *most* people buy Nexus devices. ;)