Hyperlink function question...

Reaction score
Hello, I've recently learned the wonderful world of Excel (2003) hyperlink function (fx) next to the formula bar. I have read the online microsoft help and basically exhausted my resources to answer my question. so, my question is this:

I can't seem to hyperlink to a file on my local computer - that is functional when the workbook is opened on Different network computer. (same subnet)

in other words, I use the =hyperlink() function like this:

=hyperlink([\\MIS17\c$\temp\file.doc]","name')

Of course it works locally - but the workbook itself is saved onto a server. All the hyperlinks I create (with the same function) that reference other servers work fine from another computer I just can't get back to my own computer. (and there are reasons it has to be from a local machine instead of a server)

Anyone's thoughts or experience with this?

Reaction score
If you're trying to hyperlink from one computer to another across a network, the problem is going to be credentials. Storing the file on a server that the logged in accounts have access to is great because they have access to that location. But if you're trying to hyperlink to a file on another computer, unless you're using an account that has admin privileges on that computer, you won't be able to get to it.

Ask a Question