HttpListener and HTTP.sys questions

Mark

Hi...

Don't know if this is the best group for this, but didn't see another jump
out at me as a better choice...

I'm just getting my feet wet with System.Net.HttpListener (actually trying
to sort out what a legacy app is doing with it). At first, the whole thing
was confusing; I'm used to one process being able to own a socket on a port,
so this whole multiple listeners, possibly conflicting with IIS befuddled me
a little. Did some research and found the pages about HTTP.sys and the new
functionality.

A couple of questions (perhaps picayune) that I didn't see answered:
1) Which os process loads up http.sys and facilitates the many
processes/one port functionality?

2) The MSDN page for System.Net.HttpListener says that it needs Xp sp2 or
2003 to use - *but* Xp comes with IIS 5.1, not 6.0. The other pages I found
said that IIS 5.1 was built with winsock and is still bound to the
1-port/1-process model, while IIS 6+ was re-coded around the new HTTP.sys
functionality.

So when the System.Net.HttpListener docs say Xp sp2 at a minimum, I'm
inferring that that means "and either you use different ports or turn off IIS
5.1". Correct?

Thanks
Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

As for the HTTP.SYS, it is a kernal mode component which serve as a network
facade on the operating system. Yes, it is first introduced in windows 2003
server and integrated with IIS6. After sp2, windows xp is also equiped with
this http.sys component. However, since IIS remain version 5, it doesn not
be integrated with http.sys. However, windows HTTP API and the .net
framework HttpListener class does utilize this kernal model component.
Here is a article mentioend this:

#Http.sys in WinXP SP2: What It Means with Windows Communication Foundation

http://dotnetjunkies.com/Article/99DD7042-532D-4DB4-8625-1CD8BF422D64.dcik

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Is the information in my last reply helpful to you? If there is anything
else we can help, welcome to post here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 04:05:43 GMT
Subject: RE: HttpListener and HTTP.sys questions

Mark

Hi Steven...

The links you provided were very helpful, yes.

Thanks
Mark