HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

G

Installed Visual Studio to Server. Version 7.1.3088. MS .NET Version 1.1.4322.
Basically attempt to open "ASP.NET Web Application" using menu bar command, i.e., File | New | Project...

Get the following message: "The web server reported the following error when attempting to open the web project located at http://Alydar/Web Applications/DESTINY". HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request.

What is wrong. Please advise - I need to create web apps and unable to create the very basis, project file itself.

C

Cor Ligthert

Hi David,

Did you know that there is a newsgroup

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Maybe it is about a vb project, however I do not believe this is a language
item.

I hope you find your solution.

Cor

G

I'm using Visual Basic - to create Visual Basic Web App.

Basically - I can't create VB App - don't you think that this would apply to THIS NEWSGROUP - and NOT ASP.NET newsgroup.

Please forward to someone who can help!!!!!!!!!

G

Greg - sounds like your response might help.

Basically, I'm running Windows 2000 Server. Since I'm at home - and will begin work day 8:00AM E.S.T. tomorrow morning - I shall apply the fix you've recommended, i.e., Article 306005 - Repair IIS Mappings. This might be the problem - Again, tomorrow AM will try and then will be back with you - thank you sir for advice.

G

Greg - prior to this problem, I have to indicate the following...

I was having a problem starting the IIS Server, i.e.,
Internet Information Services
Default Web Site (Stopped) - was problem I had.

I basically would attempt to start the site, via Right Click then select "Start" - but I would get the error message as follows...
Internet Services Manager
Address Already in Use.

I changed the TCP Port from 80 to 90 - do you think this is the cause of problem.

G

Greg Burns

I am not a network guy, but changing the port from the default 80 to 90
doesn't sound like a good idea. :^)

Is this server just a development machine or is it your companies live web
server? This may sound obvious, so please forgive me, but normally you would
install VS on your development workstation only (for example Windows XP Pro
w/ IIS installed) and publish (possibly by XCOPY) your working app to your
production server. The production server just needs to have the .NET
Redistributable installed on it. (not VS)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

Sorry if I am way off base. Just trying to understand your environment.

BTW, has IIS Lockdown been applied to your server? That can cause weird
things too.

Greg

G

SERVER is a development machine - and therefore I'd also like to use it to test all our web apps too. VS is only installed on this server also - 1 exception is laptop that is not connected to our network has copy during our evaluation of Microsoft's software. I'd like all users to develop VB Web Apss from this server and be able to test these apps too. The live web site (2nd server) only has the .NET Redistributable installed on it (not VS) / IIS only - as you assumed.

Again - I've changed the port setting back to TCP port 80 - Microsoft literature I read indicated I could change to 90 if conflict / but than again another knowledge base article suggests to leave @ 80 of which I did this morning.

Now have the "Internet Services Manager : Address Already in Use" problem of which I need to install. Any suggestion as to how to fix this?

Ask a Question