HTML can't find Caption property for datagrid

Tony Girgenti

Hello.

I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form.

For a datagrid control, i used the Caption property. It displays fine on
the datagrid and allows me to run the program.

But, when i view the HTML for the web form, it shows this error at the
bottom.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\CoyneTruckWebServices\WebForm1.aspx(50): Could not find
any attribute 'Caption' of element 'DataGrid'.

Why can't it find the Caption property if it's there ?

Tony

Tony Girgenti

I'm sorry Alvin.

It's a bad habit of mine. I always feel like i need to post ot as many
related groups as possible.

I will try to remember next time.

Thanks,
Tony

Alvin Bruney said:
jeez, why the multipost? Ideally you should just post this idatagrid
control alone.

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Tony Girgenti said:
Hello.

I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form.

For a datagrid control, i used the Caption property. It displays fine on
the datagrid and allows me to run the program.

But, when i view the HTML for the web form, it shows this error at the
bottom.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\CoyneTruckWebServices\WebForm1.aspx(50): Could not
find any attribute 'Caption' of element 'DataGrid'.

Why can't it find the Caption property if it's there ?

Tony

Scott M.

I think that you'll find that around here, if you can't remember not to
multipost, we'll remind you by not responding to your posts.

Tony Girgenti said:
Hello.

I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form.

For a datagrid control, i used the Caption property. It displays fine
on the datagrid and allows me to run the program.

But, when i view the HTML for the web form, it shows this error at the
bottom.

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\CoyneTruckWebServices\WebForm1.aspx(50): Could not
find any attribute 'Caption' of element 'DataGrid'.

Why can't it find the Caption property if it's there ?

Tony

Tony Girgenti

Hello Scott.

I didn't think that it was against the forum rules to multipost. I don't
feel that i am an abuser of multiposting. I choose the forums to post ot
based on which forums i think the problem is related to.

If your family of experts decides to keep knowledge from an individual
because they feel he is violating some secret code of cross posting then
I'll have to live with that.

I resent your implication that a cross poster will not get the replies that
he is entitled to because he mistakenly viloated some posting protocol. If
someone is in charge of who's questions get answered and who's don't, then
this forum is not what Microsoft claims it to be. Microsft's description
of the newsgroups does not say cross posting is not allowed. In fact, they
explain how to do it.

Maybe you should spend more time trying to figure out what the poster's
problem is rather than reprimanding him for cross posting.

Tony

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

Tony,

While there are certainly times that cross-posting makes sense, this is
hardly one of them since you clearly were able to find the
"microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol" newsgroup for
your original post. If you had simply asked your question there and it
didn't turn up any useful answers, cross-posting to other groups would be
resonable.

Now, as for your response to my friendly advice:

By your own admission, you multi-post as your normal first attempt for
information:

My message was in response to this statement. If you agree it's a bad
habit, then why are you upset with me essentially agreeing with you?
I resent your implication that a cross poster will not get the replies
that he is entitled to because he mistakenly viloated some posting
protocol.

These newsgroups are hosted by Microsoft, by they are populated by
individuals who help out others voluntarialy, giving of their own time
simply to help others. You are not *entitled* to anything here. If those
who give of their time to help others see someone habitually behaving poorly
here, they will simply choose not to help that person in the future. This
is perfectly reasonable. Sorry if that upsets you.
If someone is in charge of who's questions get answered and who's don't,
then this forum is not what Microsoft claims it to be.

As I said above, these newsgroups continue to exist because of the combined
voluntary contributions of many people. There is not just one person who
decides who gets answers and who doesn't. Having said that, there are
certain people, who post in these newsgroups often, that are not concerned
with newsgroup netiquitte. The regular responders here get to recognize who
those people are. Most of the time those offenders questions will go
unanswered, not because there was some secrect vote to blackball them, but
simply because most regulars here don't want to waste their time with such
folks.
Microsft's description of the newsgroups does not say cross posting is not
allowed. In fact, they explain how to do it.

But, the rules of conduct do talk about keeping your posts relevant:

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/gallery/components/wn/2/locales/help_en-US.htm#RulesofConduct)

The most relevant place for your post is:
"microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol". Try that first
and see what happens. Is that so hard?
Maybe you should spend more time trying to figure out what the poster's
problem is rather than reprimanding him for cross posting.

If you spend some time here (and in the other groups), you'll see that I
spend *just a bit* of time doing just that.

Perhaps, instead of making demands of those that are here helping others,
you could have taken some simple advice.

Good luck with your issue.

"Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
[...]

I apologize for writing most of the things that i said. I should have
realized the tone of your reply was of a friendly nature. It's just the
"we'll remind you by not responding to your posts" that i thought was wrong
and i still do think it is wrong. I don't think you or anybody should make
the decision to not reply to a post because the poster makes a crosspost
when they shouldn't. If you are going to volunteer, thats excellent.
However, i think you are losing focus of the purpose of the forums if you
are going to say things like "we'll remind you by not responding to your
posts".

While we are at it. I also don't think your "You are not *entitled* to
anything here" statement is correct either. Whenever i consider buying a
Microsoft product, one of the first things that catches my attention is the
way Microsoft advertises that the forums are available for questions. I
have numerous Microsoft products and i paid good bucks for them, so i think
i am *entitled* to my share.
"microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol". Try that first
and see what happens. Is that so hard? <<

I'm sorry Scott, but at the time, i felt that the other forums that i posted
to were relevant to my question. Datagrids are not only datagrids, they are
asp.net web controls and they are asp.net related. I have no idea of which
volunteer experts keep track of which forum posts, so how am i supposed to
know when/where to crosspost or not crosspost.

I didn't realize i was making demands. I thought i was just asking a
question and i did take the simple advice of Alvin and apologized for my
error. In spite of how this reply to you might sound, i will heed your
advice also.

Thanks for the knowledge, help, support and volunteer work of everyone in
these forums. I have learned a lot by frequenting them and hope to continue
to receive needed answers in the future.

Tony

Scott M. said:
[...]

Well, Tony. I wish you well, but I still believe you should change your
attitude when it comes to these forums. You say that you believe you are
entitled to help from Microsoft because of the products you buy from them
and you certainly are. You will find, with every software purchse,
instructions (either in the package or in the electronic documentation that
came with the software) on how to contact customer or technical support.
What you will not find are instructions to come to the MS newsgroups for
technical support, because that is not what they are. So, I respectfully
say again to you that you are not *entitled* to anything *here*. (By the
way, when I suggested that you stop making demands, it was because of your
belief that you *are* entitled to help here - - To me, insisting that you
are entitled to something that you are not seems like demanding something.)

Along those lines, I (and anyone else who chooses to) have the right to help
(or not help) anyone we choose - - we don't work for Microsoft. My first
reply to you is the way it is: Since we all volunteer our time and
knowledge here, we tend to favor those folks that don't abuse the system.
Conversly, if there are folks that someone here feels has abused the system,
those people will just tend to get less help - - not because any committee
has deemed it so, just because it doesn't take long to figure out who abuses
the system and who doesn't. That's just life. You may not agree with this,
but (as I was simply pointing out to you in my first reply) that's the way
it is.

Lastly, it is true that your question would be reasonable in more than one
newsgroup, but it is clear that the DataGrid newsgroup is probably the
*most* relevant and so, rather than post to all relevant newsgroups, you
should just post to the one that is the most relevant and see what happens
there first - that's all.

Good luck.

Tony Girgenti said:
[...]

OK Scott.

I will try not to demand anything in these forums. Although i disagree with
a lot of the things you are saying, my purpose for coming here is not to
have an elongated discussion about those disagreements.

I want to learn what's in your head related to the technology and not tell
you what's on my mind.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Tony

Scott M. said:
[...]