HP5550 slows to a crawl!

Josh

I have a hp5550 connected via usb to my XP machine. Say i'm printing
a few pages of simple text in draft mode; the printer zooms through
the 1st half page. But just recently it started slowing right down.
Halfway through the 1st page the printer is taking 3 seconds per
sweep. Its slower than high quality mode. A page or 2 further on it
will speed up for half a page, then slow down again.

Ive tried all the different quality modes - same behaviour. Ink carts
are nearly full and the output quality is fine. Any ideas why it
slows down?

Hazel

Josh wrote in message
Any ideas why it slows down?

Nope, but we get exactly the same behaviour from our 5550 run through
a W98 machine. One thing we have noticed is that it seems to suck the
life out of the system memory.

It doesn't display this behaviour if we are printing just after a
system reboot.

--
Hazel.

Grandchildren - God's reward for not killing your own.

Find me on Ebay - http://snipurl.com/3vvp

Steve B

Are you using the parallel port? This is prone to CPU hogging, USB is much
better.