How to use VESA videomodes 800x600 and laters in DOS box inside Windows XP ? (my monitor says: Out o

G

I have the following problem with VESA (SVGA) videmodes in Windows XP (XP Professional, ServicePack 1, all hotfixes after SP1)

In DOS box in 16-bit DOS applications DO NOT WORK all videomodes starting with 800x600 (starting with VESA mode 103h and higher). DOS virtual machine is standard NTVDM.EXE. In what the problem consists? After starting 16-bit DOS application, the application fire INT 10h and switch videmode to VESA videmode 103h (for example) using standard BIOS calls (INT 10h). NTVDM.EXE and keyboard input in DOS application continue to work normally, but the monitor is switched to special mode and gives out the message Out of range, as though the videocard has established wrong frequency refresh rate for monitor. Under DOS debuggers (for example, Borland Turbo Debugger TD.EXE or AFD) it is possible to see that INT 10h function (AX = 4F02h : VESA SuperVGA BIOS - SET SuperVGA VIDEO MODE) returns operation status as successful (AL = 4Fh and AH = 0). It means that the videomode (103h for example) has been successfully established by BIOS

However, videomode 640x480 (VESA mode 101h) works fine in same DOS box in same 16-bit DOS applications under same Windows XP

However, in pure DOS on this computer (on same hardware) all videomodes works fine (so videocard BIOS quite well works with VESA (SVGA) modes.)

However, in pure Windows XP (in 32-bit applications) all videomodes works fine

However, in DOS box under same NTVDM.EXE text videomodes (in DOS console 16-bit applications) works fine

However, the same DOS applications works fine in DOS box under some other Windows XP computers (with some other hardware, certainly)

Thus, a source of this problem is DOS-subsystem in Windows XP. The problem is not an hardware problem. Also it is precisely known that on some other XP-computers these DOS-applications work in DOS-window

My videocard is NVidia GeForce4 440MX, 64 MB RAM. I tried various versions of Detonators (30.xx, 4x.xx, 53.03). I tried various options of .PIF-files for customize launch of DOS application. I tried windowed and full-screen DOS console boxes, and boxes with active focu
I tried various DOS TSR drivers for VESA modes troubleshooting and for troubleshooting of refresh rates in DOS modes About article 812681 (NTVDM 16-Bit Program Does Not Run If the Window Does Not Have Focus) I known. Has helped nothing

How to allow to Windows XP to use videomodes more than 640x480 in DOS boxes

Ask a Question