How to use Excel VBA Help

NoOnesHome

I cannot seem to use Excel VBA help effectively (Excel 2003). If I search
for "Range Object" to learn about the properties and methods of the range
object I get a very long list of items, none of which answer my question.
If I search for "open method", "AddPolyline Method" is displayed long
before any of the entries for "Open Method". If I search for "Do While" or
"While" I get "no results found.

What is it that I am not understanding about VBA's help feature. How do I
find out what the "End" method of the range object does or how to use it?

I know I can (and usually do) get answers by searching the web, of failing
that, asking a questio here, but surely, VBA's help should answer the
simple questions like, "How do I use a 'while' statement".

Thanks for your help and insights.

Jim Cone

The last decent help system for Excel was in XL97.
That help system quickly provides a list of "relevant" subjects for all of the items you tried.
The xl97 .hlp files are installed on my system and I access them thru an add-in I wrote.

In Excel 2003, "loops or looping" will get you something on Do/While; "Range Collection or Range Property" kind of works
for Range Object. I personally don't think MS gives a damn about the help system.

Also, see... http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2007/12/21/fixing-help/
(some code/comments, from me, about 1/2 way down the page)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

<[email protected]>