How To Stop "Ker-plunk ker-plunk" USB sound from Device Manager?

Mike Hartsough

Every 10 seconds I get a "ker-plunk ker-plunk" sound that I've been able to
track down to a USB hub. I've tried power-cycling the USB hub, and restarted
Windows, and I still get the sound.

The Device Manager window does some sort of rescan/refresh at the same time
as the sounds, so I'm thinking it's some sort of DM issue.

This actually started on an old XP PC a few weeks ago, but this morning it
started happening on a much newer Vista PC. So I'm wondering if there wasn't
some recent Windows update that caused this.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the sound? I can't just leave the hub
unplugged.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Hartsough

An update - I should have taken 10 extra minutes to troubleshoot a little more.

The connect/disconnect sound is coming from a Wireless USB adapter. I get
the sound whether it's in the USB hub, or plugged directly into the PC. I
don't believe it's the device, since it's been plugged into this PC for
several months, and it's never been used on the older XP PC that's having a
similar problem. So, any ideas what may be causing the same DM issue on two
different PCs?

Thanks again.....

Mike Hartsough

Nevermind...

Source of the sound is a utility that's running on both PCs that checks for
a printer on my home Network.

Apparently if the printer is turned off the utility looks for it every 10
seconds and makes that sound. What a nuisance.

Apologies for wasting anyone's time.....

Rojo Habe

It's never a waste when you post the solution. Someone else may have been
following this thread looking for an answer, in which case you've helped
them.

Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It's never a waste when you post the solution. Someone else may have been
following this thread looking for an answer, in which case you've helped
them.

"Mike Hartsough" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Nevermind...
>
> Source of the sound is a utility that's running on both PCs that checks
> for
> a printer on my home Network.
>
> Apparently if the printer is turned off the utility looks for it every 10
> seconds and makes that sound. What a nuisance.
>
> Apologies for wasting anyone's time.....

Mike, you have NO idea. THANK you!!! That freaking sound has been driving me CRAZY! I was SURE I had some zombie-bot-malware selling all my credit card numbers and passwords (I have no idea what I'm talking about, I heard some of those words and they scare me).

Please SPREAD the doctrine that posting a problem AND its eventual solution are NOT a waste of time! Other people are INDEED following these threads, and have been helped!! Even TWO YEARS later!!!

Seriously, I was SO sick of that noise. Thank you.