How to stop Esc Key from Turning on System

Peacebringer

I'm trying to figure out how to stop the esc key from power on my computer.
It doesn't do it if I've turned off the PSU recently, and the BIOS settings
are all set to disable for USB/Keyboard/Mouse/etc powering on the system...
but if I've booted to Vista once, then shut-down the esc key will now power
on the computer. As there are many cats running around my house, so far
almost every time I've left the house, I've returned to my computer on :p
I've been poking around the Power Settings and other such options but I can't
seem to find any option to stop Vista from turning my computer on. It's not
the sleep option either that I'm choosing, It's "shut down" on the shut down
button. Any ideas/answers? Thanks in advance.

-Peace

Gary Mount

My keyboard can be turned off. Its a wireless keyboard with an off switch on
the back. I also unplug the Bluetooth transceiver but only because my system
gets stuck on boot up with it plugged in.
Maybe you could put a cover over your keyboard so the keys wont get pressed.
By the way, do the cats play with the mouse?

Mark L. Ferguson

A 'deadbolt' for the esc keycap. A pin or small dowel could be inserted into
holes in the cap to keep it from depressing, and theoretically could be
easily removed for use. Leave it in place till you need the esc. I don't
know of an 'alt-####' combo to do escape, but I suppose there could be one.
There is a script that will do it. ( WshShell.sendkeys "{ESC}" )
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8c6yea83(VS.85).aspx
--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

Peacebringer

These are all fine suggestions for working around the problem, but someone
somewhere out there has to know (or... is there even a way?) how to stop a
system from booting up when you press the esc key using system
software/settings only.

-Peace

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Check Device Manager,
Properties of the keyboard
Power Management Tab, is it checked to allow the device to wake the machine?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?UGVhY2VicmluZ2Vy?=
<[email protected]>
|> Subject: RE: How to stop Esc Key from Turning on System
|> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:38:02 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> These are all fine suggestions for working around the problem, but
someone
|> somewhere out there has to know (or... is there even a way?) how to stop
|> system from booting up when you press the esc key using system
|> software/settings only.
|>
|> -Peace

Not Me

When turned off, none of my 200+ systems boot when I press the escape key.
Is it a special keyboard? Manufacturer specific?
There may be a BIOS setting for it.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That functionality can be built into a driver. The option in Device
Manager for example only appears for keyboards that support that option or
be greyed out if the device does not offer that functionality.

Open and elevated cmd prompt:
run
C:\>powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any

This shows the list of devices that can wake your machine.

Also run powercfg /lastwake
This attempts to show the device that wakes the machine up, just to make
sure it is the keyboard.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]