How to set power options for all users?

rick cameron

Hi, all

At home we have a PC used by all 4 people in the family. I'd like to
configure it so that the same power options apply no matter who's logged
on - including the state where no-one is logged on.

It surprises me that power options are a per-user setting in the first
place! How does that make sense?

Anyway, to do this by using the Control Panel, I'd have to log on as each
user & change the settings - and I suspect that wouldn't change things for
the no log-on case.

Another approach that occurs to me is to set the options for 1 user, then
use regedit to export the appropriate keys & values (I believe it's all
under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg, but I also see
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
Folder\PowerCfg - anyone know what the latter is for?) and then import onto
the settings for other users.

If I change the settings under HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg
will that control the behaviour when no one is logged in?

Is there a better way to do this - perhaps by using a policy?

Thanks!

- rick

rick cameron said:
[...]

Hi Rick,
Try the GPO by typing the command in the RUN:
gpedit.msc click [OK]
On the Group Policy under Computer configuration:
Under Administrative Components >> System = Remove boot/Shutdown
/Logon/LogOff status.

HTH.
Regards,
nass

db

Hello Rick,

It sounds like me that your just trying to
customize the power configuration
for each pc permanently.

There is something that might help
you and without messing up your
registry file or accidentally corrupt any
system files.

Go to Microsoft.com and download/install
tweak ui 1.33

Afterwards, setup the power configuration(s)
via the control panel and on each machine
as you need them to be.

Then launch tweakui from control panel and
go to the tab inside called control panel and uncheck the
power management icon and the tweakui icon as well.
Then click apply and exit.

This tweak program will remove the icons from
control panels and will pose the obstacle that
will prevent anyone from accessing
your custom power settings.

You can regain control of those settings, icons, etc with
the tweakui again by opening up a cmd window and
typing tweakui.cpl at the dos prompt.

I would avoid running it directly from the run
prompt as the command will be listed.

-db

[...]

Hi, Nass

Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear on how this relates to power management,
though.

Cheers

-rick

nass said:
rick cameron said:
[...]

Hi, db

That's an interesting suggestion, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I would like to find a command that allows me to set the same power management options for all users on the PC, including the "default" user. I know I can do that by logging in under each user & setting the options via Control Panel - although I can't set the options for the "default" user that way.

Once I've managed to set the options, I will probably follow your suggestion to ensure that they don't get changed inadvertently.

Cheers

- rick
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message Hello Rick,

[...]

ok,

i can understand what you are
trying to do. but i wonder if there
is a solution for something like that.

there is a little unknown tool (that is until now) that may enlighten you and provide a solution.

from a cmd window run: powercfg /?

maybe this can provide additional the
additional resources you need.

-db