how to select the boot RAID-1 set

G

gesuina

I had created RAID-1SCSI hd, on a Adaptec 2100S.
On this RAID I installed Linux.

Now, as I need to update the system (and to preserve the old
installation), I want to add another RAID-1 set (say: set B, while the
old one is set A), where a more recent release is installed, and boot
from set B. This set B has 0 and 1 as id's; set A has id's 2 and 3.
But the BIOS defines as boot set A, and I do not know how to boot from
set B.

Anyone can help me?
Thank you.

F

Folkert Rienstra

gesuina said:
I had created RAID-1SCSI hd, on a Adaptec 2100S.
On this RAID I installed Linux.

Now, as I need to update the system (and to preserve the old
installation), I want to add another RAID-1 set (say: set B, while the
old one is set A), where a more recent release is installed, and boot
from set B. This set B has 0 and 1 as id's; set A has id's 2 and 3.
But the BIOS defines as boot set A, and I do not know how to boot from
set B.

Anyone can help me?

After RTFM it appears there is no easy answer.

So did a search for "setting boot drive on adaptec raid 2100s" in ASK database.

This seems to describe the process of what's involved in defining the bootdrive:
http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3260&p

Quote:

Answer

When a RAID array is created, a LSU (Logical Storage Unit number) is assigned to it. The LSU # is a combination of four numbers
separated by commas, 0,0,0,0 Host Adapter #, Bus #, SCSI ID #, LUN # (Logical Unit Number).

The LSU number is a hierarchical number, left to right. First the Controller, then Bus, then ID, then LUN. The LSU # is used for
multiple purposes, one of which is used to signify the boot order:

The Host Adapter # signifies the RAID controller number, in case there are multiple Adaptec RAID controllers in the system at the
same time.

The Bus #, signifies the Bus number the array was created on originally.

SCSI ID # , LUN # are determined by the member of the lowest drive ID and LUN in array which was present when the Array when it was
created.

For example if a RAID 5 array would be created on Host Adapter 0 (zero), Bus 1 (one), using drives with SCSI ID 3,4,5 and with only
one RAID controller in the system, the LSU assigned to the array should be (0,1,3,0). This information will be displayed in the
controller BIOS or SMOR as you create the RAID array. On the left pane, where the RAID array is displayed, you will see the
LSU -e.g. (0,1,3,0).

If the RAID controller has the Boot Enable feature enabled (default setting), it will attempt to boot from the array with the lowest
LSU number.

For example, if the system is booting as expected from the above array example, with an LSU of (0,1,3,0) and another set of drives,
with ID's 2,3,4 are connected to the controller on Bus 0 (zero) and the array created, it will be assigned a LSU of (0,0,2,0), the
controller will then attempt to boot from the newly created array.

Changing the SCSI ID¿s of the drives in the array or moving the array from one bus/channel to another on a multiple channel
controller will not change the LSU number that was assigned during the array creation phase.

Either the existing or the newly added array needs to be deleted. The drives that are to be in the array need to have their BUS# and
SCSI ID # set such that the array that will be created will result in a lower LSU for the array that you are trying to boot from.

A good practice is to ensure that (for the booting array) there is a drive at SCSI ID 0 (zero) on BUS 0 (zero), of controller 0
(zero) before creating the boot array. The resulting LSU number of the boot array will be (0,0,0,0) and this will ensure that if
other arrays are created, that no other array created on the controller will have a lower LSU number and cause interference with the
booting process.

End quote

Sounds to me that when you actually do what you propose to do
the controller will automatically boot from your new array.

Ask a Question