how to reset MSN Messenger 6.2 to default/original settings?

A

Ahmed Anis

How do you reset MSN Messenger 6.2 to default/original settings? I have
unstinalled MSN Messenger 6.1 and installed 6.2, but the settings are all
the same from the before uninstallation?

How can I do it? By the way, it seems that MSN 6.2 is not compatible with
Plus!

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Ahmed,

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to remove all your settings, but to set it back to
defaults, close MSN Messenger if it's running by right-clicking the Messenger icon in the
notification area/system tray, by the clock and choose Exit. Then, click Start, then Run,
then type:
%appdata%\microsoft
and click OK.

Right-click the MSN Messenger folder and choose Delete (please also note that this will
remove any custom display pictures or custom emoticons you have setup).

Then, then start the registry editor by clicking Start, then Run, type "regedit" and then
click OK. Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger key (they look
like folders), click the MSNMessenger key, then choose the Edit menu, and then choose Delete.

After this you can restart Messenger and everything should be back to "defaults".
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

A

Ahmed Anis

thanks a lot !!!

Jonathan Kay said:
Greetings Ahmed,

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to remove all your settings, but to set it back to
defaults, close MSN Messenger if it's running by right-clicking the Messenger icon in the
notification area/system tray, by the clock and choose Exit. Then, click Start, then Run,
then type:
%appdata%\microsoft
and click OK.

Right-click the MSN Messenger folder and choose Delete (please also note that this will
remove any custom display pictures or custom emoticons you have setup).

Then, then start the registry editor by clicking Start, then Run, type "regedit" and then
click OK. Navigate to the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger key (they look

Ask a Question