How to remove user level security

Steve Maunsell

I have created my first DB using Access2000, saving and
renaming as I achieved new levels so that if I stuffed
something up I could go back to a working copy.

I got to trying to set up user-level security so I tried
using the Wizard but it wasn't installed so I exited. I
then went into the user/group accounts area and created
a 'test' user which I then deleted. I changed nothing
else and then exited. The Admin and User accounts are
still there.

Now when I open any DB (even the old copies) or even
create a brand new DB Access always asks me for a
username and password. I've tried Admin and User with the
obvious passwords (password, 1234, 0000, nothing etc) but
nothing works.

I've uninstalled Access, restarted, reinstalled but it
still has this security.

What is the default password for the Admin or User users?

How can I remove this from Access cos I can't do anything
now!

Any ideas?

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

It sounds like you did not secure your database but you just forget what
the passwords are for the Admin account and the account that has Admins
rights.

Try the following:
- locate the file "wrkgadm.exe" should be version 9.xxxx

- double click the file to open

- choose to create a new *.MDW file (note all the information you entered
while creating it)

- join the newly created *.MDW file

Reopen Microsoft Access and try opening one of your databases. If the
database is NOT secured then you should have no problem in working the
database. If it is secured then you might receive an error message stating
you don't have permissions. In that case you will need to resort to a
backup prior to securing the database. The security wizard creates a
backup copy of your file but I think you stated you did not use the
security wizard.

Here's some information that should also help the understanding of
Microsoft Access security:
ACC2000: Understanding the Role of Workgroup Information Files in Access
Security
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305541

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Steve Maunsell" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Steve Maunsell" <[email protected]>
| Subject: How to remove user level security
| Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:39:46 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| I have created my first DB using Access2000, saving and
| renaming as I achieved new levels so that if I stuffed
| something up I could go back to a working copy.
|
| I got to trying to set up user-level security so I tried
| using the Wizard but it wasn't installed so I exited. I
| then went into the user/group accounts area and created
| a 'test' user which I then deleted. I changed nothing
| else and then exited. The Admin and User accounts are
| still there.
|
| Now when I open any DB (even the old copies) or even
| create a brand new DB Access always asks me for a
| username and password. I've tried Admin and User with the
| obvious passwords (password, 1234, 0000, nothing etc) but
| nothing works.
|
| I've uninstalled Access, restarted, reinstalled but it
| still has this security.
|
| What is the default password for the Admin or User users?
|
| How can I remove this from Access cos I can't do anything
| now!
|
| Any ideas?

TC

Once you've fixed this problem, if you try to set up security again, you
should locate & read the "Access Security FAQ" before you proceed. Then
follow the steps exactly, in the order shown, adding & omitting nothing. You
will never get it right by messing around with it. For example, you have
omitted the first key step in securing a database, which is, to create a new
secured workgroup file. All of this is explained in the FAQ.

HTH,
TC