How to Print Brochures?

Bob Headrick

Talal Itani said:
Many thanks. Can you recommend a Paper Catalogue, or Double-Sided inkjet
paper?

You might take a look at HP Brochure paper. They have a double sided glossy
media scored for tri-fold at
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-80570-28563-28564.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-28562-18832-18844.html
has non-scored paper and
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=Q5445A
is the matte version.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Talal Itani

Hello,

I have been printing one-sided brochures using my Canon inkjet printer and
good quality photo paper. Things work well because I do not print many
brochures. Now I need my brochure to be double-sided. Do you have any
recommendations? Thanks.

T.I.

Roy G

Talal Itani said:
Hello,

I have been printing one-sided brochures using my Canon inkjet printer and
good quality photo paper. Things work well because I do not print many
brochures. Now I need my brochure to be double-sided. Do you have any
recommendations? Thanks.

T.I.

Surprising as it may seem, double sided "brochure" and "photo" papers are
available.

You probably won't be able to use it, if you needed to ask here, rather than
just looking up a paper catalogue.

Roy G

Talal Itani

Many thanks. Can you recommend a Paper Catalogue, or Double-Sided inkjet
paper?

Ivor Jones

Talal Itani said:
Hello,

I have been printing one-sided brochures using my Canon
inkjet printer and good quality photo paper. Things work
well because I do not print many brochures. Now I need
my brochure to be double-sided. Do you have any
recommendations? Thanks.

For a start, I wouldn't use an inkjet. Ink that soaks into the paper is
not a good choice for duplex printing. I get very good results with an HP
2505dn Colour Laser and 90g/m² paper (colour laser paper *not* inkjet
paper). You can tell they're not professionally printed but they're good
enough for my use.

Ivor

Roy G

Talal Itani said:
Many thanks. Can you recommend a Paper Catalogue, or Double-Sided inkjet
paper?

Since you have a Canon printer try the website for Printers which begin with
the letter "C" .

Or if you want to try living on the edge, put "Double Sided Photo Paper"
into a search engine. The excitement might be just too much for you.

Roy G

Roy G

Talal Itani

You know, there are many places to search for the same information. I can
use Google, or Yahoo, or the Public Library, or the Newsgroups. I often use
Newsgroups because I receive what I need fast, from experts thrilled to
help. Sometimes, I get discouraging comments, from a person who loves to
condemn. In general, people are good.

Burt

Bob Headrick said:
You might take a look at HP Brochure paper. They have a double sided
glossy media scored for tri-fold at
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-80570-28563-28564.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-12771-215521-322565-322565-28562-18832-18844.html
has non-scored paper and
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=Q5445A
is the matte version.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
If you want coated double sided matte paper that has a weight like card
stock, try Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper. The weight is
suitable for greeting cards and will probably do well for brochures if you
want a good card stock. This paper goes on sale periodically two-for-one.
They just concluded a sale that was fantastic - $2 per pack of 50 sheets.
Otherwise around $10 or so.

Meghan Noecker

I missed the initial post which listed the printer model. I have
several canon models (s9000, s820, i560), an the HP paper has a little
trouble with pooling on the glossy paper. I have to reduce the opacity
of the photos to get them not to pool. And I have trouble with black
text.

I used to buy Great White brochure paper that was perfect, but I
cannot find it anymore.

Meghan Noecker

Just because a website says the paper is good, it doesn't mean it will
work well with a specific printer.

And Canon will only give advice on Canon paper. They would not help me
at in finding a double sided paper since they do not make one and will
not promote a different brand.

A newsgroup for prints is much more useful than a website selling
paper.

Meghan Noecker

If you want coated double sided matte paper that has a weight like card
stock, try Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper. The weight is
suitable for greeting cards and will probably do well for brochures if you
want a good card stock. This paper goes on sale periodically two-for-one.
They just concluded a sale that was fantastic - $2 per pack of 50 sheets.
Otherwise around $10 or so.

I just bought some paper that sounds really nice for brochure paper.
It turned out to be cardstock. The print quality is nice, but I really
wasn't looking to mail out flyers on cardstock. They don't fold as
well, and it just seems odd to get a flyer on cardstock. I would much
rather have a paper in the 30-37lb range, and not the heavier
cardstock paper.

Roy G

Meghan Noecker said:
Just because a website says the paper is good, it doesn't mean it will
work well with a specific printer.

And Canon will only give advice on Canon paper. They would not help me
at in finding a double sided paper since they do not make one and will
not promote a different brand.

A newsgroup for prints is much more useful than a website selling
paper.

I don't use a Canon printer.

Even I know that Canon does make a Double Sided Photo paper, which has,
perhaps, been designed to work moderately well with Canon Printers.

If anyone should be looking for supplies for their Printer, it would seem
failry obvious that the place they should try first would be the
Manufacturers Website.

Might be just too large a step for the logic processes of some on these
groups.

Roy G

Talal Itani

I was told not to use HP paper in Canon printers. Do you know if this is
true, if it holds for the brochure papers you recommended? Many Thanks.

Talal Itani

You know, different people have different tastes, different preferences,
different needs. What is obvious to you, may not be necessarily obvious to
me. It is nice to give good advice, in a kind way.

Burt

Roy G said:
(snip)
I don't use a Canon printer.

Even I know that Canon does make a Double Sided Photo paper, which has,
perhaps, been designed to work moderately well with Canon Printers.

If anyone should be looking for supplies for their Printer, it would seem
failry obvious that the place they should try first would be the
Manufacturers Website.

Might be just too large a step for the logic processes of some on these
groups.

Roy G
I don't know why you find it necessary to respond to questions in such a
rude, unkind manner. Are you related to Measekite? If your advice is to be
followed by all participants on all newsgroups there would be no need for
these newsgroups at all! We would just contact tech or customer support for
the equipment we own. The fact is, however, that we all know that tech
support only goes so far in solving problems we encounter, and end-user
experience is often far better when tech support can't solve a problem.
Case in point is the cleaning of printheads when the software cleaning
cycles don't restore the printer to proper function. Fortunately, this
newsgroup has the great majority of participants who respond in a friendly
and civil manner to help people, and a very few like you who prefer to
belittle them.

Although each printer manufacturer markets products that they have designed
to work well together, that does not preclude finding other sources of paper
that would work as well, if not better. While you are correct that one
should consider the products made by your printer's manufacturer, asking the
question on a newsgroup certainly gives one a broader base of actual users
whose experience is verey valuable and is not tainted by the vested interest
the printer manufacturer.

There are several brands of inkjet paper that work well with Canon printers.
There are also some that are at least equal to Canon papers and are less
costly. My experience is only with HP, Epson, and Canon printers, and I
have found alternatives to their respective brands of papers that I have
found equal, or superior, to them. That is the kind of information the OP
was seeking, and not your wise-ass, unhelpful responses. Killfiled.

Talal Itani

Today I went to Office Depot and Staples. They both carry the HP Glossy for
Brochures, and their own brand for brochures paper. I was able to talk the
sales-person into taking one sheet of each for trial. I came home, proudly
carrying three glossy double-sided inkjet sheets of paper. The three papers
look very similar, but they are not identical, and the results on my Canon
i850 are similar, but not identical. Prints on HP and Office Depot were
slightly better than on Staples paper, yet all three looked surprisingly
good. At staples 150 sheets cost $19 something. Not a bad deal. A few
days ago I tested a couple of Red River sheets. I plan to go with the
Office Deopt Paper, $23 for 150 sheets. I will print and mail 20
brochures/day, for one month.

Thanks for all the help you gave me in this posting.

Meghan Noecker

I don't use a Canon printer.

Even I know that Canon does make a Double Sided Photo paper, which has,
perhaps, been designed to work moderately well with Canon Printers.

If anyone should be looking for supplies for their Printer, it would seem
failry obvious that the place they should try first would be the
Manufacturers Website.

Might be just too large a step for the logic processes of some on these
groups.

I bought my first canon color printer 3 years ago. Sometime since then
I did contact Canon for a double sided glossy paper or even a double
sided matte brochure paper. They said they did not make anything like
that.

Perhaps something has come out since then. I have not seen it at the
office stores or listed on their websites. Until last month, I had a
supply of very good paper that I liked, so I have not been looking.

Just because somebody asked here, doesn't mean they haven't already
asked the manufacturer. I personally found Canon's help to be useless.
They did not have the product when I asked, and woul dnot assist me in
finding something that would work, or how to change the settings to
make it work. I had to experiment on my own and waste a lot of paper.

Meghan Noecker

I was told not to use HP paper in Canon printers. Do you know if this is
true, if it holds for the brochure papers you recommended? Many Thanks.

I have been able to use HP papers if I reduce the opacity to lower the
amount of ink being used. But I have not been able to use them with my
normal settings like I can with most other paper.

I have also had better luck with the I series printers use more
varieties of paper than the S series.

Bill

(snip)

[...]

Roy G is actually a pretty nice person and quite knowledgeable. He is,
however, a grumpy old Scotsman or, as we say here in the States, a
grouchy old fart. Maybe he uses up his limited supply of tact on his
guests at his bed and breakfast. Remember, he eats haggis on a regular
basis. That's enough to make anyone bitchy.