how to override global "send as ical" setting

• Thread starter Tony Rozga via OfficeKB.com
  • Start date
T

Tony Rozga via OfficeKB.com

Hi, this is my first post, I've learned much from reading OfficeKB archives, thanks.

I'm writing a C++ COM addin that creates a meeting request with certain fields pre-populated. We would like to modify the body text significantly, including inserting a bitmap. Most of the functionality is in place with a few undesirable things I would like to fix:

- if the user has set Tools/Options/Calendar Options/use iCal, my embedded bitmap causes Outlook to pop up a dialog warning that this "attachement" won't be included in the outgoing message. I'm hoping someone has hacked around this issue. I did read the promising thread: http://www.officekb.com/uwe/Forum.a...g-properties-on-existing-Redemption-Recipient but these properties don't seem to influence a meeting request. I've tried creating two meeting requests, one with iCal set and one with it not set and then comparing both OOM properties and MAPI properties, no obvious clues there. Any clue how to turn this off for a specific message?

- if the send as ical option is off, I get a multipart MIME message on output but the "rich" body format is encoded in application/ms-tnef...not a standard I'm aware of :) It would be really cool if one could control how the MIME message was generated. Sound like a pipe dream?

- I feel slightly "dirty" about how I went about aquiring the IRichEdiOle interface for the body text control, and my method only works for new items. (I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested). It looks like Redemption exposes these UI controls, anyone know a clean way to do this? Any hints Dmitry? :) Is it somewhere in IMAPI land or IOle land?

Anyway, thanks.
Tony

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Easiest way to turn iCal off for a single message might be to use
CommandBars to toggle the Tools | Send as iCalendar command on the meeting
request's menu.

A non-iCal meeting request is sent as an Outlook item, which is where the
application/ms-tnef winmail.dat part comes in. You cannot change that
behavior. If it doesn't go out as ms-tnef, Outlook won't recognize it as a
meeting request.

Ask a Question