how to make windows xp cd recognise the hard disk preloaded with v

I am using a sony VGN-FZ140E vaio laptop with vista preloaded.When i tried to
install windows xp, the bootable cd didnot recognise the hard disks installed.
Is there a way out to make the bootable cd of windows xp, recognise my hard
disk and continue with the installation

regards
mano

Paul Randall

mano said:
I am using a sony VGN-FZ140E vaio laptop with vista preloaded.When i tried
install windows xp, the bootable cd didnot recognise the hard disks
installed.
Is there a way out to make the bootable cd of windows xp, recognise my
hard
disk and continue with the installation

regards
mano

I went to the Sony web site looking for WXP drivers. I didn't find any.
Without WXP drivers, I don't think you will be happy with a WXP system.
Some new laptops are optimized for Vista.

I would advise going to the Sony web site and searching for info on
installing WXP on your machine. Maybe they have an online chat where you
can ask questions.

-Paul Randall

Thomas

mano said:
I am using a sony VGN-FZ140E vaio laptop with vista preloaded.When i tried
install windows xp, the bootable cd didnot recognise the hard disks
installed.
Is there a way out to make the bootable cd of windows xp, recognise my
hard
disk and continue with the installation

regards
mano

use WindowsMe Boot CD, boot to dos prompt, execute fdisk and delete all
partitions ME finds (displays some weird junk instead of partition names)
after that XP recognizes the harddisk

greetings
Thomas

Mike Hall - MVP

What kind of XP CD? Generic OEM? Full retail? or maybe a DELL or HP OEM
type? It makes a difference..

Richard Urban

Your Sony has a SATA drive installed (I checked).

Therefore, you will have to press F6 when booting with the Windows XP CD and
install the appropriate SATA drivers. Then setup will be able to see the
hard drive.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

mano said:
I am using a sony VGN-FZ140E vaio laptop with vista preloaded.When i tried to
install windows xp, the bootable cd didnot recognise the hard disks installed.
Is there a way out to make the bootable cd of windows xp, recognise my hard
disk and continue with the installation

regards
mano

Mano my friend... You have to disable "Sata Native Support" which could be
found in the BIOS screen... i tryed that on my HP laptop.

David B.

It's highly unlikely that your suggestion will work, just having Vista on PC
will not prevent XP setup from seeing the drive. The problem is likely do be
driver related.

Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I believe you are using SATA drive, in this case you need to enter the CMOS and change the HDD setting to use IDE mode.

Cheers!
Erwin

--

----